We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

Solihull uk
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

If you look at our previous comments they were about actually getting to Tampa from the UK.

Well we actually booked through Netflights and we fly from Birmingham at 6am and land at Tampa about 20.00 the same day. If you take into account the 'time difference' then it adds up to nearly 1 days travel!! OK so the airlines have changed flight details but frankly looking at the itinery we should have flown Manchester - Orlando and arrived early afternoon.

The reason for me posting this request is to ask advice on how long it might take driving from Tampa airport to Rotonda, we have booked a car through US car hire and chose Budget rental.

Would it make sense to stay first night near to the airport and set off next morning for Rotonda.as it may well be very late before we arrive at the villa we have rented. We have the villa for a month so arriving 1 day late wont cause us much pain.

Please give us some advice so that I can if necessary book a hotel asap.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,579 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

Poppy,

you are lucky if you can sleep on a plane. I didn't manage even when I got upgraded to Club world last time on the Direct flight lol.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

We flew BA Club World a couple of weeks ago to TPA .. we did not sleep a wink either, we were too busy eating all the fab food, playing with the electric seat and enjoying the in flight entertainment ! LOL

I think all the homeowners are comfortable in travelling and arriving at their villas at night as we are familiar with them ... but if your arriving at a rental villa then it might be best to arrive in daylight, especially if you have to find keys or enter codes etc

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

I agree that you should spend the night in the airport hotel if you are new to the area. We did not and it was a big mistake. We were really tired on picking up the car and having to navigate our way in the dark in an unfamiliar automatic car was a trauma. It then started raining torrentially which gave us zero visability. On eventual arrival at the villa with freyed tempers we had were starving and had no food to eat and could not face another trip out in the rain. Never again - much less stress to stay at the airport and leisurly make your way there in the morning.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

We too are flying Birmingham - Tampa (via Newark), in May, and have decided to stay overnight at the Intercontinental, in Tampa - and we arrive about 5.30pm @ TPA.

Considering you will have been travelling for somewhere around 20 hours, I think you're making the right choice staying overnight. From previous experience, it's surprising how quickly 'the land of nod' catches up with you once you've arrived and started to relax.

Solihull uk
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

Thanks for your message, we finally decided to book a hotel and decided on the La Quinta Inn near to Tampa aiport. We looked at loads of hotels and also of course looked for input from Tripadvisor. Frankly it also depended on price, we felt that to rest was important, but we didnt want to spend to much just in order to sleep for a few hours.

I will post some thoughts about the hotel and the vacation in general when we get back to the UK end of march.

In the meantime have you been to the gulf coast area before and if so, do you have any ideas/thoughts as we have never been on that coast before. We are there for one month and any ideas you may have might come in useful.

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

Bara,

We are here at the moment, and things are certainly hotting up on things to do - this is really the season where everything is happening! Baseball season (spring training) starts end of Feb, and you will have all the big names coming down to Port Charlotte. Tampa Bay Rays have their spring training home at the Charlotte Stone Crabs ground on 776, so you will have the Boston Redsocks and NY Yankees all heading here. You should try and fit in a game - a good night out!

Also lots of arts and crafts fairs, state fairs, golf competitions, sailing trips. Just pick up local papers when you arrive and just throw yourselves in to whatever is going on .............. you will have a great time! Just wish I could stay alittle longer, but we have to leave on Tuesday of this week, so just chilling as best we can.

Bear in mind that things do get busy down here in season, so try to make restaurants early, particularly at the weekends .........

Check out some of the posts that myself and others have put on with regards to things happening, restaurants etc etc. Any other questions, don;t be afraid to post..........

Rosiebabe

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,579 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

Bara,

I would be tempted to pick up the keys for your car before you leave the airport- even if you leave the car there and take a shuttle to your hotel.

You will be up early, so getting on the road at dawn or thereabouts will be a good idea. There is rush hour early, but everyone will be heading into the city, not out.

Solihull uk
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

Thanks for the suggestion about picking up the keys and leaving the car at the airport and using the hotel shuttle. Never thought of that as an option.

The more I ask for advice on trip advisor the more I am amazed at the suggestions that people come up with.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,579 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

Bara (and others) how were your planned trips? Where is the trip reort you promissed us lol?

I am bumping this so it won't close with the 6 month rule.

A

20. Re: Travelling from Tampa airport to rotonda west

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, January 16, 2011