We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

I just got back last Friday from Punta Gorda. WOW I loved it there. Jet Blue flight down there then back to Logan was outstanding. I can see why people love Punta Gorda so much. We checked out the Fishermen's Landing and had lunch at Harpoon Harry's. It was GREAT, we thoroughly enjoyed it there. We even got a table right by the water and were able to watch the dolphins jumping up and down, it was pretty neat.

We had spectacular weather during the past 12 days too, we didn't have one bit of rain, it was in the 80's, the morning we left we had rain, but that's it, we had a really early morning flight, so it was no big deal. We flew out of Punta Gorda and the sun was out for the rest of the way to Boston, so it worked out great.

While in Punta Gorda we visited Laisley Park. All I can say is another WOW. We walked all along their harbor and the hibiscus were all in bloom. Then we took a trolley tour of Punta Gorda and the guide was born and raised in Punta Gorda, he was wonderful telling us all about the hurricane and what it was like living there and he showed us the different buildings that were renovated, rebuilt or put there since hurricane Charlie. We stopped at the Chamber of Commerce to take pictures, I'll have to download some shots I took. After the trolley tour we got on the pontoon boat for the Peace River cruise, it was so worth it. I highly recommend both the trolley tour & pontoon boat cruise combined any time they have it.

Here's info for the combined tour, it's only $20 and SO worth it. There's a few different dates for it. It's not done all the time, so hopefully some of you can try to do this while you're visiting:

puntagordachamber.com/library/pdfs/disc_pgcc…

We really enjoyed this tour and especially the tour guide where he was from Punta Gorda any way and knew the whole area like the back of his hand. He was great!

We tried to get in to that Irish pub in town that every one keeps telling us to try, but it was closed for renovations evidently. We walked up to it after having dinner one night at the River City Grille. Now that's one restaurant you need to put on your agenda. It's wonderful there. Friends of mine that live in Punta Gorda as snow birds highly recommended it to us. It was terrific there. It reminded me of our Franklin Cafe in Boston, a lot like it with various specials on it and all that. Extremely good cuisine and the wait staff couldn't have been any nicer. Very friendly, helpful and extremely polite to us, I thought they were wonderful in this restaurant.

There's a few restaurants we didn't get to that I have on my list for when we go back. One of them is "Jack's", if you're down there, GO there for dinner or lunch some day. My friends love this place, it's on my list for when we go back there.

We enjoyed Punta Gorda, I stayed at a house in the Deep Creek community. It was positively perfect and had all the stores we HAVE to have right near there. We went to Port Charlotte up the road a few times for their TJ Maxx/Marshall's and Home Goods, we were as happy as clams finding THOSE stores there.

Another day we took a little day trip; to Sarasota to the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. If you get the chance to check them out, pack a lunch in a picnic basket and head there. They have a neat little cafe there with tables and chairs outside on their patio and the lush landscaping all around it makes you want to stay there all afternoon. It's a wonderful afternoon trip. I took a lot of pictures here as well and one of these days I'll get them on Trip Advisor, I promise, just not right at the moment. If some one emails me that they'd like to see them, then I'll remember to download them. This way we'll see if any ones paying attention out there and really reading the Punta Gorda forum!

Another day we went to Venice and had lunch at this little Italian eatery that we just happen to stumble in to. It was called Cassariano's. It was without a doubt one of the best lunches we had in Florida. We're definitely going back here again, it's on our A-list, we really loved this place. Here's info on it, oh every thing was sooo fresh and delicious, I had a turkey wrap and it was one of the best ones I ever had any where:

http://www.cassariano.com/flash/

There was a neat Jewelry store right near it that sells Pandora so the three of us all stopped there and we each got a gem for our bracelets, what else is new, have to do that!

Hopefully I hear back on this, if not we'll know people just aren't paying attention to Punta Gorda, may be that's a good thing for the ones like us that love it there! We'll have it all to ourselves then, that's all....

Take care...

NOMO01

Edited: 1:06 pm, April 18, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Peace River
Peace River
25 Reviews
Florida
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
Port Charlotte
Port Charlotte
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Marie Selby Botanical Gardens
Marie Selby Botanical...
2,580 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

FLRElady,

Get on to Trip Advisor and leave a review, saying what you experienced. That is completely out of order. I can't stand to see this kind of awful customer 'service'/

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

Amanx - I certainly did that already! I posted a review within hours. I all my years I have never had a restaurant bring you back the dish you sent back let alone refuse to remove it from the check. These are the kind of restauarant operators that make sites like TripAdvisor all the more important. I will be posting this information on all local and travel sites over the next few days.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

And he ate some of it!!!!!

Total Yuk.

Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
98 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

This was a great report, and been to all those great restaurants. Also, the irish one Celtic Ray is open and soon will open its own rooftop bar. I have not seen this for myself, but heard about it.

I do not know how to post pictures to a forum, but if you tell me how I will be happy to do that. Also, visit www.charlotteharbortorusim.com which is the local tourism bureau website. Pictures of the area there.

The PG area has grown, and there's plenty to do. Third Thursday is gallery walk with local artists and music on the streets. There's also events that can be found on the tourism websit, from seafood to art to block parties. July 4th is another big family friendly party.

If you travel through Port Charlotte, you will see it's charm growing too beyond the mall and chain restaurants. JDs Bistro and Grille...pictures on their restaurant listing und Tripadvisor is a new place with entertainment and special events...but not every night. Visions is a local comedy club, looks like a castle and while one can smoke outside not inside because it's a restaurant with w great menu. Rated best comedy club in Fl and seen other awards when there. A good place to see more about local restaurants, bars and nightclubs is urban spoon.

Thanks again for that well written summary of Punta Gorda!

Mentioned in this post
Port Charlotte
Port Charlotte
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,737 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

FLRElady - yikes!

I'm a snowbird who spends a month at Fishermen's Village every year. I've had good, bad and indifferent experiences at Bella Luna - but now I wonder if I'll ever be back.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mentioned in this post
Fishermen's Village
Fishermen's Village
1,798 Reviews
Punta Gorda, FL
Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
98 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

While I hope that the visitor from Boston gives you some pictures, many can be found at the tourism website which is www.CharlotteHarborTravel.com - this is the Charlotte Harbor & Gulf Islands website that covers Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Englewooda and the Gulf Islands. I'm trying to figure out how to add a picture I have of the area on here - but it will not only show you great pictures but take you to the websites of any business which will have all the pictures you need. Fisherman's Village, with Harpoon Harry's or Lashley Crabhouse - all have websites with great pictures! It's not only the great views but the downtown area has grown and has many choices for dining and entertainment.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Port Charlotte
Port Charlotte
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
37. Re: Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, September 26, 2011
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

Five*,

Fine to help out tourists with your local knowledge, but not fine to advertise your business esp with a link for free. I am sure if you pay TA they will allow you to though lol.

Watervliet, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

I'm not quite understanding that post...(from TA)...but does it mean that the post that had all the info saying "Punta Gorda is VERY Cool Now........."is not a true and accurate post? I am headed there first week in April and was "listening" to and planing my couple days there by that post. Please "help." Thanks very much.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Punta Gorda is VERY cool, now more than ever!

Oceanladee,

A poster by the name of "Five*" was advertising his business on here and TA felt that it was inappropriate, so they deleted him off here. So in your case, by all means listen and plan your couple of days in Punta Gorda by this particular forum post, it's a good one on it! You're going to enjoy it there. I still can't wait to go back again! Now I also can't wait to check out that rooftop at the Irish pub! So Oceanladee, if you happen to get the chance to go there? Let us know how it was! Have a wonderful time!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL