We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering moving to port st lucie

Minneapolis
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Considering moving to port st lucie

I am going to be interviewing at a dental practice in Port St Lucie. I live in Minnesota currently and want to escape the harsh weather. Would anyone consider it a good place to raise a family? Thanks a lot.

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
somewhere in florida
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering moving to port st lucie

yes. this is a nice place to live. lower crime in this area then if you were to go further south. house prices are starting to come down a little,which is good. also the weather is nice in the winter, but very hot in summer. if you like baseball it is a big plus, as we have spring training here for the red socks. west alm beach is 45 min south and disney world is not far either, about 90 mins max. if you need more info about something inparticular.... just ask.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering moving to port st lucie

I am also considering a move from NY to Port St Lucie. Does this area get hit really bad with hurricanes? How are the elementary and high schools? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at house on Bayshore Blvd North and South and Gatlin Blvd, are these good areas and do you know the name of the locals schools there?

Thanks for all your help!

Port St Lucie
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering moving to port st lucie

Port St. Lucie is a great place to raise a family, and has been the safest city in Florida for several years in a row. We moved to Port St Lucie five years ago with three teenage daughters from Washington State and enjoy living here. We found the people to be extremely friendly. The town has grown tremendously in the last five years and now all the amenities it lacked when we first moved here including nicer restaurants. Golf courses are in abundance, including the only PGA training facility in the USA. There are many nice churches, a major mall, on the east side of Port St Lucie you are minutes to the beach. Florida also has the Florida Bright Futures program that provide up to 100% tuition for 4 years for students graduating with certain GPA and SAT levels.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Port St Lucie
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering moving to port st lucie

In response to Cindylynn-

We have been hit with a few hurricanes in the last couple of years, prior to that Port St Lucie had never been hit. Some people had damage, some didn't. We have personally went through all the hurricanes without any damage.

The bayshore area is not as nice as some other areas of town, and is becoming more commercial. The Gatlin area is nicer and newer. Other nicer areas are Sandpiper, St Lucie West, Paar Estate, Torino.

As for schools, the public schools, or at least the high schools are not the best in the area, however they do offer dual enrollment in conjunction with the community college and many high school students take classes at the college. This allows them to graduate high school with 1 or 2 years of college out of the way. The best high schools in the district would be Lincoln Park Academy and SLW Centennial

New York, NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering moving to port st lucie

Thank you for the information

New York, NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering moving to port st lucie

Can you live in Port St Lucie and work in Miami or is it too far? How far South and how far north do you think I can search for employment?

somewhere in florida
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering moving to port st lucie

port st lucie to miami would be at least a 2 1/2 hr drive, and considering the traffic down there............ maybe longer. the furthest south i would recommend would be the north part of palm beach county. boca raton (the furthest southern city in palm beach county) is about an 1 hr 20 min. i live in port st. lucie, and commute to jupiter (northern most city in palm beach county) and it takes me 40-45 min to get to work.

what kind of work are you in? i'm sure you can find something local. martin county wouldn't be to far.... or even north of port st. lucie to ft. pierce wouldn't be too bad. hope this helped.