We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please

Kent
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help please

Hello everyone. Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I'm looking at resorts on the gulf coast and looking to rent a 5 bedrooms villa. There are 9 of us coming. We have 3 teenagers and I wondered if anyone could give me a brief overview of what the beach was like, where we could stay, what sort of things we can do, what dining out and shopping is like and if it's a place that could keep 3 teenagers amused for a week? Any advice would be appreciated.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,939 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please

Well first of all if you want beaches you are looking in the wrong place. Pt Charlotte is inland, and doesn't have a beach. It is, depending on where in pt charlotte you are, a min of 30-35 mins to the beach and could even be longer if you are out near I75.

There is dining and shopping there, but apart from Walmart and best buy( I have 3 teens-21 and they love these 2 stores) and the mini goilf down near the bridge to Punta Gorda I am not sure. There is the mall- not a very big one, but teens like it, and it has a REgal Cineplex.

If you want to be near the beach, you'd be better off renting in Englewood, Rotonda, Venice or Jacaranda as these areas are 5-15 mins from a beach.

Other good activities for teens are golfing, boating, fishing, waverunners, jetskis, parasailing, nature trips to see dolphins etc. My teens in particular like fishing, boating and waverunners.

Many homes int he area are more suited for retirees, so look for ones that have bikes, and ping pong, games consoles etc. Mine does, but not all do. Larger homes aren't easy to find in this area, so as a multi family group consider perhaps several condos. These should be on or nearer beaches.

Edited: 6:35 am, May 16, 2012
Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
98 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please

When are you visiting? We are renting a 3 unit 2 bedroom condo on the beach for the week of 4 th of July. That's 6 bedrooms, 3 living rooms with beds and 3 kitchens all joined by balcony area that overlooks beach. I can't fully comment until after our stay. If you haven't found a place yet. I will get the details from my husband, he booked it all. We have family coming in and three kids ourselves.

All the above was great advice. The area does have more shopping, it's growing by the day. However, there's so much to do outdoors, which is what my kids love. There's also a great YMCA and other rec areas for basketball to ping pong. I'm not sure if amanx has those in their house and rents it? I would be interested for when people are looking!

We live here, I'm involved in tourism, but our house is in North Port. It takes us 15 minutes to get to the beach. But we want to spend some time right on the water. And love this area too much, after going to other beaches we always return to renting a place right on Manasota Key! I would say most of central Port Charlotte is 15 minutes from beach, guess 25 if far south on 75! Either way, if staying with family in Port Charlotte....you can also enjoy all the amenities at the Beach Complex. If you share more, will try to help answer. Little unsure of when and what you need. But plenty of ways to find condos or houses in any of these areas!

If your trip is over now, please let us know how it was! We hope you had or have a great stay in Charlotte Harbor

Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
98 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please

Also, great baseball at the Spring Training home of the Tampa Rays, right on 776 between Port Charlotte and Englewood. Stone Crabs, under attractions for Port Charlotte. Great place for finding more is the areas tourism website www.charlotteharbortravel.com. It's a county site, that shares all the attractions for free that share their information with them!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,939 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please

They found a place elsewhere I think.

but yes, as I have 3 boys 17-21 I have things like bikes, ping pong and a PS2 for the rental house.

And yes, we go see the baseball lol, but I will have to take them up for major league games to the Rays at least once ;-) Will be there in June til july 5th. Tracy, where do you go to see the fireworks july 4th?

Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
98 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please

You may have to send me information on your house! Do you rent it yourself or use a company? I agree all those things, and when traveling abroad it's really important!

I hate that we haven't made a game yet, I was out of town for opening game for work. It looks like tomorrow night may be my first Stone Crab game, just because we pg have been busy and it's Chamber night. Visiting team also has a future hall of famer, a pitch hitter, there all weekend to rehab before going back. I would have to get more facts from the guys on that! My younger ones just love the playground. Before Chamber event, we were thinking of taking them Sat as there are fireworks!

So to that answer, no not on 4th of July. It's one week my husband can get out of his insurance office, and while we will be close we want to escape to the beach. We probably won't see fireworks on middle beach, will decide if worth the drive that day. We will catch the fireworks at the games at least once, really a fun night with or without. All Star games are coming up...

We have gone to some Rays games in Tamapa and I love them. I wish I could have time to make more day games during Spring Training, it's hard during the day. Anyway, we will have to crosss paths at some point! Thanks for staying active on this site.

I would love to know more about your house. I'm more in hotels and a restaurant, but often our guests are looking for houses. I'm in touch with a few great companies here. Let me know as those sound like some great amenities in a home rental. And a little rare in this area compared to renting in places that cater more to families like TN, etc. It is changing here, love that you are a leader in that!

Kent
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please

Sorry yes we have found a place on Anna Maria Island and we have booked there. Thanks for all your help though

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,939 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please

So, where in the area will do fireworks on July 4th? I know they do them in Venice but was looking for closer.

They do them at the ball park? Which nights?

FL
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please

@" Help Please" - You will love the beach and area on Anna Maria Island! It's a great location. For the kids head about 45 minutes north into the Tampa area and there are museums, zoos, aquariums, major league baseball and Busch Gardens all an easy drive from Anna Maria. Check on line for the St. Petersberg/Tampa area to get all the information. The St. Pete/Tampa area has a lot to do. And the Bradenton area (you go through it to get to Anna Maria Island) has some nice refuges such as Robinson Refuge if you are the taking walk types.

@:

"amanx, UK" There are usually fireworks at Laisley Park in Punta Gorta a little south of Pt Charlotte and at North Port High

School, Price Blvd, North Port a little north of Pt. Charlotte.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,939 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please

Will they have them at the stone crabs stadium (there is a game that night)?

Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
98 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please

Sorry, lost pave with this but they always have fireworks at the stone crabs games. I'm sure you found that from their website? I hope so. Sorry, we went on vacation and I unplugged. We enjoyed a week on Englewood Beach, with family from all over coming in. I would have loved a ping pong table, but staying on the beach was the most important!

So happy Anna Maria Island served you well, it's a fantastic beach. We have trouble finding good rentals there, love to know whom with if right on the beach.

Thanks!