We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions, beaches, etc. for young family

beckalicious81
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Attractions, beaches, etc. for young family

My family will be visiting for 2 weeks in Port Charlotte. We have a young baby and a 2 year old. I'm looking for a few day trips, i.e. aquariams, beaches, children's museums, that type of thing to occupy our time. We are not afraid to drive more than an hour if there is an attraction that is a must see!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions, beaches, etc. for young family

Calusa Nature Center and Planetarium - musuem, nature trails, butterfly and bird aviaries, planetarium - check the website for programs and events - calusanature.com/about-us/about-calusa.html

Imaginarium - Hands on Museum in Ft. Myers Website

www.cityftmyers.com/imaginarium/index.aspx

The Edison and Ford Winter Estate (Located in Fort Myers) museum, laboratory, gardens Website: www.edison-ford-estate.com

Sun Splash Waterpark in Cape Coral - water slides, flumes, tunnels, river tube ride, ecology boardwalk, pools

Website capecoral.net/en-us/…parkmap.aspx

beckalicious81
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions, beaches, etc. for young family

Great info! Perfect for the tikes. How about beach recommendations? Low surf, shell searching, etc.?

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions, beaches, etc. for young family

I'm not sure about beach info for that area, other than suggesting Venice which is know for finding sharks teeth on the beaches and I would think little ones would find that fun.

Edited: 3:50 pm, February 21, 2012
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,127 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions, beaches, etc. for young family

The best beaches close to you in PC are closer than Venice. You have Gasparilla Island, and Manasota Key beaches (just off englewood). Depending on where you are in PC (you can google map it for times/dorections) this could be as little as 20 mins (form say riverwood) but could be 25/30 etc.

Sarasota is closer than Ft myers, and there are some fab kids attractions there should you want them. Mote aquarium is good for young and old, and has some boat/nature trips too. Should you want something indoors, Gwiz science museum is great for kids

When my kids were that age, they mostly wanted to play with m&D. So beaches and your heated pool where you are staying will be the best. They don't need a lot else although you may do. We uded to go out in the day and eat out, and eat in and put them to bed in the evenings.

Good luck and have fun.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions, beaches, etc. for young family

You can easily determine what will be closest or most convenient for you by checking directions and driving times at mapquest . com

For directions and info from Port Charlotte to Venice Beach it is showing 25.63 miles and a driving time of 39 minutes

For direction and info from Port Charlotte to Manasota Key it shows 25.89 miles and driving time of 41 minutes.

Here is a link to a Venice Florida website showing the types of sharks teeth found along the Venice beaches

http://www.venfl.com/shark.htm

Same for attractions - Port Charlotte to Imaginarium Hands on Museum is showing 28.85 miles and driving time of 41 mintues

Hope that helps

6. Re: Attractions, beaches, etc. for young family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, March 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Port Charlotte