We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pc area safety

ONTARIO
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
pc area safety

Going to Port Charlotte for holiday staying in area code 33948. Can anyone comment on the area re safety crime etc??

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pc area safety

Pretty safe small town. Been visiting the area for 30 years. Any specific concerns?

ONTARIO
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pc area safety

Been on some other net forums and some people make it seem there are some rough areas of pc. Wanted to make sure we're not in one. Went with an agency in ontario, canada. Is it prety safe overall? Planing on going to palm island, boca englewood and venice.

Thanks

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pc area safety

All of PC has the same zip, so unless you can give an address (or the full nine-digit zip) I can't comment specifically on where you're staying. If you're reluctant to post the address here, please feel free to send me a private message thru' TripAdvisor by clicking on my ID.

We Ontarians invade this area pretty thoroughly every winter - no surprise you found the town thru' an Ontario agency. Most rental accommodations are in planned subdivisions, or tracts developed in blocks. Virtually all of them were developed in the last 30 years...a great majority in the last 10. So, if you've seen photos of where you're staying, there will be something just like it on either side, across the street, down the road - you won't find one "nice" house surrounded by shacks.

Because both PC and neighbouring Punta Gorda have been cited as "top 10 places to live/retire", I know the crime rate is less than half the national average, even lower for property crimes.

…cnn.com/magazines/…PL1258350.html

Boca Grande is delightful and quaint, Englewood a great community, Venice a bustling city. Never been to the Palm Island resort, but have visited other barrier islands.

If you act as sensibly on vacation as you would every day at home, I'd be surprised if you had any problems.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pc area safety

Oops...silly me, typed "Venice", thinking "Sarasota"....DOH! Venice is a lot like Port Charlotte, but with a beautiful waterfront instead of ;-) an even more gorgeous harbour.

ONTARIO
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pc area safety

Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it. Sounds pretty good.Look forward to seeing this part of Florida.

Cheers

6. Re: pc area safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:24 am, September 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Charlotte
Recent Conversations