We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding transportation from cruise ship/Kennedy Space for10

Long Island, NY
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Finding transportation from cruise ship/Kennedy Space for10

My family is going on a Norwegian cruise in Feb out of NY and will be in Cape Canaveral for a day and would like to go to the Kennedy Space Center without using the cruise's transportation. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this? I looked at rental vans and I could not find one that has a large enough van. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding transportation from cruise ship/Kennedy Space for10

If you are planning your own excursion to KSC, it is an easy, 20-25 minute drive to the KSC visitors' complex from the port, along SR 528 west, and then SR 3 north. You might want to call KSC in advance, as you might qualify for a group rate. There are frequently special offers that can save you from $2 to 10% off the regular admission price, which runs about $43 for an adult.

If you arrive on the Gem or the Jewel, you will usually disembark around noon, so you can get in about five hours at the space center, which closes at 6 p.m.

I have seen the bigger vans at the rental offices near the port, so they are available. I looked at the website for Hertz, which is the closest to the Norwegian terminal, and noted they list a 12-passenger Ford Super Clubwagon as available under the "SUV and minivan" category. I would call them directly at the local office, (321) 783-7771 to discuss. Also ask about office hours, as the Norwegian ships sail later than most of the cruise ships, and some rental offices may close earlier. Other rental offices within 5-10 minutes of the port are Avis, Budget, Dollar/Thrifty, and Enterprise; all offer a shuttle from the port and are located on highway A1A in Cape Canaveral, south of the cruise terminals.

As an alternative, assuming you have two drivers, you could rent two full-size vehicles. The rates for generic vehicles are very good because of the competition, and it could be cheaper to rent two of those than one specialized van.

Finally, there are many shuttle services available. Given your schedule, you would not have the flexibility of a rental vehicle, but businesses like Cocoa Beach Shuttle and TravelLynx can pick you up at prearranged times in vehicles as large as stretched limos or 45-passenger coaches. If you look at the Port Canaveral website under transportation, you will find a listing of dozens of shuttle services that operate out of the port, but the convenience can be pricey relative to a rental vehicle.

Since you will have time after KSC before your 10 p.m. sailing, and likely the flexibility of a rental vehicle, take highway A1A south from the rental offices into the Cocoa Beach area, stopping at places like Ron Jon Surf Shop and the Dinosaur Store (look at the Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach forums for more information). There are also miles of beach and many restaurants along there.

Long Island, NY
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding transportation from cruise ship/Kennedy Space for10

Thank you for for your advice... I will give them a call regarding one passenger van versus two smaller vehicles. I did not realize that the space center closed at 6pm and being able to have a few more hours to go elsewhere ... the surf shop and Dinosaur store are great options for a group of all ages -grandparents through grandkids.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding transportation from cruise ship/Kennedy Space for10

Yes, they are currently operating under holiday hours (Christmas is a busy time in Central FL) and I am assuming that they will go back to the normal 6 p.m. in a few days. I would double check as you get closer to your cruise date.

The Ron Jon store is open 24 hours. It, and the Dinosaur Store nearby, are only about 4-7 minutes drive south of the various rental offices on A1A.

There are some restaurants on the Cocoa Beach Pier that are good for dinner.

4. Re: Finding transportation from cruise ship/Kennedy Space for10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, January 18, 2013