We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short cruises

Which Pompano Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Conneaut,Ohio
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
short cruises

Would you recommend taking a 1-4 day cruise from any of the ports near pompano? If so, what is the best bet for 2 adults/3 college age kids? Unfortunately, economy needs to be a consideration. Also, any ideas for entertaining these guys in July? They're happy with beach life. Just wondering if there might be something else for us to do (not Disney). One last thing, we may stay at the Canada House. Can we walk to things? Also, is the beach o.k. there? Thanks so much for your help.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,130 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short cruises

If you are referring to the short "bargain cruises " offered by the Discovery, Sea Escape or Imperial Majesty, all of them are really terrible- filthy boats and horrible food- nothing like your image of a cruise. If you put them in the seach box you will find some reviews - most deservedly lousy . Imperial Majesty is frequently used by time share companies to lure unfortunate victims into their sales pitches. The other passengers are mainly senior citizen "condo commandoes" or convention groups that bought them as activities. You'd be better off staying home.

Of the better "short cruises" Carnival usually is least expensive and would be fun for your college kids- decent , though not fancy , food and plenty of fun for everyone.

You would need to look for one going out of Port Everglades ( Ft. Lauderdale). You could also look at Miami , but it's a bit further and transportation to and from would be pricey . Just be aware that you can't book any of them as "walk ups " or at the last minute. Since 9/11 the TSA requires passenger lists to be submitted in advance so the names can be screened, so you have to plan ahead and book it before you arrive here for sure. Lots of web sites have discounted fares. But also be aware that there are lots of add on's- tips, beverages ( even cokes are extra, but sometimes you can buy an "unlimited" card ) and lots of other things- whatever you see as the price, I would honestly double for things like Port Taxes, tips, souvenirs. and on board beverages etc.

I'm only a bit familiar with canada House but not many restaurants nearby- probably a bus that runs by , but you would be better off with a car- lovely beach, though, maybe your kids would be just as happy with that- if they are underage, there is not much nightlife - and certainly not in Pompano Beach , which is pretty much a retirement area.

Conneaut,Ohio
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: short cruises

Thanks Lulutoo for your valuable information. I noticed that you kindly respond to the many questions people post. I know I really appreciate your taking the time to help me. I'm sure everyone else does too. Since we will not be driving down until the summer I will continue to watch the posts. I'm sure I'll have some more questions by then, also. Once again, many thanks!

3. Re: short cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 27, 2009