We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online Vacation Center

Hartsdale, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Online Vacation Center

We booked through this company and everything seemed good until we got our flight information yesterday. This was a packaged deal including air, hotel in Barcelona, and a 12 night Meditarranean cruise. They said they would advise of the flights before they were ticketed so we could approve and see about any changes/upgrades we might want to make at an additional charge. They said they make every effort to give nonstop flights where available. Our flight is not nonstop and there are several available. They ticketed us before they told us about the flights and say we cannot make any changes to them. There is no reason for a layover in Madrid with nonstop flights easily available, even through the same airline they booked us with. They no longer respond as quickly to phone calls or e-mails, and all they can say is that they are "sorry." They out and out lied to us and won't do a thing about it.

60 replies to this topic
Buffalo
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Online Vacation Center

great to hear. Since you opted not to upgrade to the direct flights did you feel your air arrangements were staisfactory?

Poulsbo, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: Online Vacation Center

The best way to judge a company is by the way they handle customer problems. Online Vacation Center failed for us. We recently traveled with Online Vacation Center. We also had no say as to our flights and they were changed several times. We even had to pay for 'preferred seats' just to assure that we could sit together. They also charged us an extra $400 each to get from west coast to Chicago. Then, we requested a hotel near the city center of Rome instead of one on the outskirts of town and we were charged an extra $149 to stay there. While at the hotel and again on the cruise we spoke to several people who stayed at the hotel and were not charged the extra amount. OVC claims this is not true. One traveler with OVC said that when he requested the hotel in city center, he was told it would cost more but he got upset with OVC and they let him stay at the city hotel with no extra cost.

Coming home, was a nightmare. US Airways took off the 11:55am flight and we ended up on a 4:30pm flight to Philadelphia with an extra stop in Maine. They then gave us one hotel voucher for three adults and kept us overnight. We got home to WA at 3:30 the following day.

Also, when we disembarked the cruise ship for our trip home, we, and other OVC travelers, were put on the wrong bus and dropped off at a bus stop outside the port, and left there to figure out how to get back to the cruise ship. It was a nightmare. We won't be using Online Vacation center again.

Edinboro
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Online Vacation Center

I assume you did not get charged for the extra stop in Maine?

Edinboro
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Online Vacation Center

Maybe, the OVC Personal Vacation Managers need to spend more time explaining what happens when you accept the basic package, then have you sign that you agree.

It's my understanding that OVC only promises flights will get you to your location and back. What did US Airways do to help?

US Airways took off the flight, not OVC. Flight changes happen all the time, and seat assignments are not guaranteed, unless you pay extra for an upgrade. WE paid in advance for or flights and received the flights and seats that we wanted.

My wife and I were also booked with OVC for Rome/ NCL Jade - Western Mediterranean.

We paid the upgrade for the Grand Palatino. It was what we wanted. If someone got an upgrade without paying, good for them. Normally, I find we get what we pay for.

I agree, the bus area at disembarkation in Rome (Civitavecchia) was a bit of ciaos.

Each bus had information in the front window and someone checking off names as passengers boarded.

There were 7am and 8am transfer OVC buses, based on flight times. Some passengers for 7am buses did not start looking for their bus until after 7. Our bus was held until 8;30 because a couple was missing. They were sitting in the immediate area however misread(?) their "Important Information" sheet from OVC. The couple said, "We thought our bus was at 8:30 !" Others did not have a clue as far as what flight they were on.

Some people should not be doing this on their own.

Edited: 2:49 pm, May 08, 2014
Buffalo
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Online Vacation Center

Anxiously reading this since we are a group booked with OVC for March. Friends have used them before and had no problems .If you don't mind I have several questions for you...any help would be appreciated .By paying for your flights in advance of the due date did you pick your flights and did you pay extra or did you pay the air part of your package as quoted. Do you know what hotel you would have been in if you hadn't paid for the upgrade??how much was the upgrade??

When did they tell you what bus you'd be on to return to the airport???Another question regarding the ports; in Toulon where were you docked: I have seen 2 different areas. One you can walk into town from the ship the other required a cab or shuttle.

Edinboro
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Online Vacation Center

I assume you are writing about the NCL Jade Western Med. Cruise.

We paid for flights about 6 months ahead of time. We went on-line and from a list of many, chose the flights we wanted. Your OVC Manager will give you a phone number for direct contact with their airline reservation person. We paid (some) extra for the flights. However, we chose the direct flights, airline(Delta) and seats. We paid about $40. pp for assigned seats with extra leg room on the flight returning from Rome(FCO) toJFK.

Hotel in Rome. People who did not pay for an upgrade stayed at the hotel H10 Roma Città, located in Marconi, a neighborhood close to Trastever. The upgrade to Grand Palatino was $149.pp .

When we arrived in Rome, we were given an "OVC Important information" package with Hotel, Transfer and Contact information.

Within the Transfer information, there were (bus) pick up times that corresponded to flight departures.

So, pax were advised of all information before the cruise. There was also an OVC representative in the hotel lobby.

Toulon Docking. Good question! Before our cruise, I called NCL about the docking location and was assured we would be right in Toulon. Wrong ! The ship is too big. A local guide says the NCL Jade always docks in La Seyne, across the bay. However, NCL provides a complimentary water taxi(ferry) to Toulon City, every 30 minutes.

Edinboro
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Online Vacation Center

<<<When did they tell you what bus you'd be on to return to the airport???>>>

The chaos issue with buses at the port of Civitavecchia (Rome)...

Over 2000 pax were leaving the ship for about 40 buses at about the same time; some passengers were too early and some were late.

As I remember, not all people giving directions spoke clear English.:-)

NCL, of course, had their transfer buses up front, as you exit the port terminal.

We asked an NCL rep where the OVC buses and were told to look farther, to the back of the parking lot.

OVC buses were farther back and customers were crowded around, trying to read each placard in the front of each bus to find the right one.

Edited: 2:45 pm, May 09, 2014
Buffalo
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Online Vacation Center

GOOD MORNING! Thank you for your quick reply. I will share this information with our group leader.

So one more question.....what was the highlight of your trip? ANY MUST NOT MISS places I should put on my wish list??

Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Online Vacation Center

We used Online Vacation for our Med cruise (Royal Caribean) last year. The hotel in Rome was great. Everything worked very well. We then booked a Southern Caribbean Cruise (Norwegian) with OVC. Again.....tremendous! The prices can't be beat. We have our 3rd OVC cruise booked for a short cruise out of Houston (Princess) in November of this year. We used their shore excursion company while we were in the Southern Caribbean. Very enjoyable small and personal excursions. One couple we spoke with were the ONLY ONES on a snorkel boat.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Online Vacation Center

Hi, we are looking at a Mediterranean cruise on the NCL Jade with onlinevacation center in February.

Has anyone used their shore excursions and if so, how were they? They are more reasonable in cost so I wonder if they were reliable. Also any experiences with the Mediterranean in the winter? How was the weather?

Thanks in advance, Aimee

Reply to: Online Vacation Center
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Plantation