We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Perdido Key

Iowa City Iowa
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to Perdido Key

My husband and I are planning a week's vacation here in May. Would like info on hotels on the beachfront. Also wondering if it's necessary to rent a car. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Maryville, TN
Level Contributor
201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Perdido Key

I don't think there are any hotels on Perdido Key, just condos. You will need a car as there is not much in the way of restaurants or shopping in Perdido Key, you will need to drive into Orange Beach or Pensacola for that, they are very close though. Personnally I like that it is much less crowded there and am perfectly willing to do a little driving as a trade off. We were there last May and there were maybe 40 people on the beach at a time, just how I like it, although there may be more people on the stretches that have the highrise condos. Where we were had a State beach to one side and residences to the other. We are going back again this May/June.

Mentioned in this post
Pensacola
Pensacola
Florida Panhandle, FL
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Perdido Key

It is mostly condos, true. But the beaches---wow! White sand and paintbox sunsets. You can always check out the FloraBama Road House Lounge for a laugh (it's right on the border, hence the name).

I stayed just north of the area, in Magnolia Springs, Alabama. I second the opinion on needing a car---it's necessary, but driving distances aren't too bad.

There are lots of little restaurants up in the Alabama border area, I'm sure the local experts can recommend some. And you can always do a daytrip up towards Mobile---maybe out to Fairhope, a great and pretty little bayside town. Have an enjoyable time and take long walks on that nice beach!

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Perdido Key

yes you will need a car- some of the rental sites are www.resortquest.com and www.meyerre.com- good luck and enjoy!!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Perdido Key

You will definitely need a car, but what a place to visit. We have stayed in Perdido Key for the last 10 years staying in lots of different places, but we love Molokai Villas and Shipwatch, great places that are smaller and quainter than a high rise. We have always rented from Pointe South - www.pointesouth.com. They have a great maintenance guy named Mike - he came out in the middle of the night last year and worked on our air conditioner - great service!

Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Perdido Key

Hi,

I think you will need a car. The great thing about Perdido Key is that is less crowded, so you may need a car to get groceries, go to dinner and get to any attractions you may want to see. We have been going there for about 15 years now and still love it. As far as I know, there are not hotels on the beach, but are many great condo rentals, many of which are as reasonable as booking a hotel stay. I have personally stayed at Sandy Key, Ocean Breeze, Perdido Sun and Perdido Skye. Ocean Breeze is a good value, Sandy Key is our favorite. The Naval Museum and the Blue Angels are worth seeing while there.

Have fun, we're going in March,

Your Illinois neighbors

Mentioned in this post
Perdido Sun
Perdido Sun
73 Reviews
Perdido Key, FL
Kentucky
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Perdido Key

ditto the car. I am 40 and have been going there since I was 12 with my parents. It has grown alot since then (there was 1 fastfood place, KFC on the key at the time) but it still is very laid back and not crowded even during their busy time (summer). Plenty of places to eat and drink within a short drive (less than 5 miles). Definitely try Pelican Point and also the Oyster Bar. Alabama is a few miles down and is more touristy if you are looking to go putt putt, go to a spa or shop etc. (there is an outlet mall a few miles inland in AL) We had stayed at Perdido Towers (only 2 units per floor and 64 units total) but also have liked Shipwatch which is next door and has very big balconies. The Navy base is a short ride away (45 minutes) and definately worth the drive if you like that sort of thing. The Blue Angels have practice sesssions which are open to the public for free when they are there, just check their website for times. They also have flown low down the beach once in a while. There were times we would be sitting on our balcony (4th floor) and a jet screams right by. Pretty amazing. You'll see young families in the summer and retirees the rest of the time. Lots of folks from LA and AL who love their football and are fun to talk to. Check out Flora-Bama during the day, it's fun to see and a good time, but gets a little rowdy sometimes late at night. We had our toddler there for lunch during the day and it was fine, plus it's right on the beach, but I wouldn't take a kid there at night unless something special was going on that included kids.

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Perdido Key
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Perdido Key

Hi HawkeyeGrandma,

Perdido is great for families and couples alike! You will definitely need to rent a car if you do not drive down, as the airport is about a 25-30 minute drive from the island. There are plenty of things to do in the area and actually you can visit our web site to view the area attractions page and see what is out here. The site is perdidokeyresortmanagement.com/areaattractio…

I hope this helps and that you have a great vacation!

Warm Regards,

JD

8. Re: First time to Perdido Key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, September 06, 2009