We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Instead of Destin: Peridido Key, OB, or GS?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Instead of Destin: Peridido Key, OB, or GS?

Trying to make a decision with more limited choices due to the short time frame of our vacation. Due to job change I want to cut costs and this area is less expensive than where we stay at Destin and a shorter drive from home.

We vacationed once in Fort Morgan years ago (13 years) Now my kids are 18-29 and want to vacation in the area less expensively than Destin with restaurants to go half of the time. Bascially we go to the beach, dinner and in case of rain see a movie.

Which area is not jammed packed on the beach? We used to rent a home in a gated neighborhood with a private beach in Destin, walking to our home was short too.

Since my boys are older, bunk beds are out and also need one room with twin beds for them.

Like at least a upscale shower, good view, large deck, nice pool and restaurants in the area. Really don't a long drive each time we go out to dinner.

We cook fresh fish, any seafood stores not a grocery store in these areas?

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
lawrenceburg in.
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Instead of Destin: Peridido Key, OB, or GS?

We have stayed all places. OB and GS is more commercial and crowded. We prefer Perdido Key. Specifically west of the "elbow" or sharp curve where several large condo complexes are located. The beach is less crowded there but close enough if you want to drive into GS or OB.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Instead of Destin: Peridido Key, OB, or GS?

Too many decisions where to stay so last minute. Going back to Destin. My daughter my stay at PK later this summer

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Instead of Destin: Peridido Key, OB, or GS?

Why not look at Ft Walton Beach which is less expensive than Destin? If you stay away from the pier area, there's less people and better yet if you stay somewhere like El Matador which is adjacent to federal land (undeveloped). By the way, I'm not a condo owner.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Instead of Destin: Peridido Key, OB, or GS?

Thanks. We are staying at Mirimar Beach. The neighborhood has a pavilion on the beach which is nice for snacks and bathrooms.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Instead of Destin: Peridido Key, OB, or GS?

Hi there, there are lots of options for what you describe in Perdido Key. I have two units there myself now though none with an upscale shower yet- soon, soon. There is a really nice Publix just over the bridge on the east end and a Winn Dixie across the street (2 mins.) or you can go into Orange beach for loads of shopping and restaurants. Wonderful restaurants very nearby on the east end in Perdido and a fish market just under that same bridge from Pensacola. Pensacola is just about 35 minutes or so and Orange Beach 10 minutes. The beaches are clean and not crowded, the park at Johnson’s Beach (we can walk to it from my units but also bought a pass) is gorgeous and we quite often walk for hours on the beach seeing only handfuls of people in the distance.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Instead of Destin: Peridido Key, OB, or GS?

We own in PK- try these complexes- not very crowded- Spanish key, Needlerush point, Perdido Beach and Yacht club-all close to Florabama and very good restaurants- we pick up fresh seafood and Perdido Bay seafood!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Instead of Destin: Peridido Key, OB, or GS?

Where in Miramar beach are you staying? Why this choice? I’m interested in a family vacation (8 people) & are trying to get suggestions. Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Instead of Destin: Peridido Key, OB, or GS?

The OP has already been to Miramar Beach and gone home. I remember her posting that she was not happy with the house they chose.

Reply to: Instead of Destin: Peridido Key, OB, or GS?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted