We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May swimming and activity on boardwalk

Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
May swimming and activity on boardwalk

Hi,

Thinking about a trip in early-mid May with kids ages 4-17. Wondering about swimming in the gulf, looks like the current water temp is about 78 degrees. Are lots of people swimming? Also, last visit was end of November and water was cool-cold and no one on the board walk... Hoping for some people and shops open on the board walk for the teens to enjoy exploring. Please give me an idea of what to expect? Also, read in a post here that it is usually quite windy, is that true for the most part?

Thanks so much! (FYI- we are from MN if that helps as far as the water temp question lol, the lakes here never get any warmer than the upper 70's)

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May swimming and activity on boardwalk

I don't get in the water in early or mid May, but then I'm from Texas. You should be fine.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May swimming and activity on boardwalk

Thank you! Do you know if it is often windy/heavy surf this time of year compared to later in June?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May swimming and activity on boardwalk

I've been in May and June and I didn't notice any marked difference in the wind. May is cooler but June still has an ocean breeze. May rates are usually cheaper since school is still going on.

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May swimming and activity on boardwalk

78 degrees is fine to swim, at least for me. Check the webcams to see how many people are in the water, especially weekends. Water clarity will also affect how many people are swimming.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May swimming and activity on boardwalk

Thank you!

No one swimming today but the surf looked quite high. I wasn't sure if that was the norm. The cooler water wouldn't slow me down but the surf would.

Any idea if there is activity on the board walk in May? Or other ideas to entertain teens aged 13,15 and 17? We will spend a lot of time on the beach but want to do a few other things in the area. Plan to try to see the Angels practice from the lighthouse if we can.

Pensacola, Florida
Destination Expert
for Pensacola
Level Contributor
817 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May swimming and activity on boardwalk

It's not 78, but close. As for the surf, there is no way to tell if it will be up or not. It depends on if there is a low pressure in the Gulf or if we have had some strong winds. But even if the Gulf is rough, the bay side is always swimable.

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May swimming and activity on boardwalk

Could've been red flags flying to keep people out of the water if surf was too rough.

Best way to see the Blues is from the base, watching from lighthouse is unnecessary $$ (my opinion, of course). Use this link to see what's going on and lots of other stuff:

www.visitpensacolabeach.com

Edited: 7:54 am, May 12, 2014
8. Re: May swimming and activity on boardwalk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 14, 2015