We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pensacola vs. Orange Beach vs. Perdido Key FL

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Topic
Pensacola vs. Orange Beach vs. Perdido Key FL

Our family of 4 (kids ages 13 and 10) is planning a trip to this area in June. I can't decide which would be the best area to stay. Our plans are to go to the Naval Museum and to take a day trip to Mobile, AL to see the USS Alabama Battleship. We also want to go mini golfing and go cart rides. We have never vacationed in this area and would love advice from others who have vacationed here in the past. We plan on renting a condo so that we can eat most meals in but would love suggestions of tried and true restaurants as well. Thanks for your help!

Pensacola, Florida
Destination Expert
for Pensacola
Level Contributor
817 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pensacola vs. Orange Beach vs. Perdido Key FL

Pensacola is centrally located to do all you are looking at. For go karts go to Fast Eddies. While at the air station, plan to go to the museum the same day the Blue Angels are practicing. It's free to watch the practice. I'd also check out the lighthouse and Ft. Barrancas while there as well. My favorite hotel on the Pensacola Beach is the Holiday Inn Resort. The kids will love the lazy river pool. And putt putt golf is in walking distance from the hotel. Hope this helps.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pensacola vs. Orange Beach vs. Perdido Key FL

Perdido Key is the least developed of the 3 so activities other than the beach will be a bit farther away (although it's closer to the naval station). You mentioned condos, so there's lots of choices in various price ranges all along both Pensacola Beach and Orange Beach as well as Perdido. We like the FL panhandle better because the water is (normally) a beautiful clear emerald green vs. more murky water at Orange Beach/Perdido Key. We like riding the trolley or taking a bike ride out along the undeveloped national seashore.

Our favorite place to eat at the beach is Peg Leg Pete's.

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pensacola vs. Orange Beach vs. Perdido Key FL

Thanks got the advice especially about the water. Bike riding sounds fun. Do they have rentals for the bikes?

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pensacola vs. Orange Beach vs. Perdido Key FL

Thanks for the helpful advice! We will definitely check those places out! Our family loves stuff like that. Sounds like Pensacola is the place to stay!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pensacola vs. Orange Beach vs. Perdido Key FL

Yes there are bike rentals available. Here's a link for lots more info on Pensacola Beach:

www.visitpensacolabeach.com

usa/Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pensacola vs. Orange Beach vs. Perdido Key FL

If you have time, I'd love to hear about your vacation. Our children are the exact ages as yours and I'm undecided on FL or AL. It sounds like Pensicola is the nicer beach/water area, but I've read about fun activities along the water in Orange Beach such as parasailing.

I suppose since we had to work around sporting events and we are just now looking we'll go where ever we can find a nice place to stay, lol.

Edited: 11:33 pm, June 19, 2014
Pensacola, Florida
Destination Expert
for Pensacola
Level Contributor
817 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pensacola vs. Orange Beach vs. Perdido Key FL

Pensacola has parasailing : )

Pensacola, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pensacola vs. Orange Beach vs. Perdido Key FL

for the kids your age, I would stick with Pensacola beach. There is quite a bit to do and a larger selection of restaurants then Perdido or Orange Beach.

9. Re: Pensacola vs. Orange Beach vs. Perdido Key FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 18, 2015