We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Angels Show - July 2008

Birmingham...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Blue Angels Show - July 2008

I'm thinking of taking my husband on a surprise trip to Pensacola to see the Blue Angels on July 12th, but don't know anything about the show and am having trouble finding information. Is there a ticket price for seeing the show? How early should we arrive, if the show begins at noon? Do we need to reserve some sort of seats? How long should we expect it to last? Any other tips?

As I said, this is very unfamiliar to me, as my husband is the one who would know the answers to these questions, but it is a surprise!

Mentioned in this post
Pensacola Beach
Pensacola Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Angels Show - July 2008

Start here:

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Angels Show - July 2008

Well that wasn't helpful. I thought that's where i got my info. Maybe someone can really help!!

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Angels Show - July 2008

I have a suggestion for you--try posting this question on the Gulf Shores, Alabama forum. Crazy sounding, I know, but I'm on that one a lot and there are locals who often suggest that visitors to GS go to see the Blue Angels. I think if you posted on there, you might get a response from someone who could give more information. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Angels Show - July 2008

I hope this helps.

The week kicks off with the Blues flying Circle & Arrival maneuvers at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, July 9 and continues with a practice session at 2 p.m. on Thursday, July 10.

The full dress rehearsal begins at noon on Friday, July 11. The main event, the Pensacola Beach Air Show, starts at noon on Saturday, July 12.

You just need to get out to the beach early and get a spot with your blanket and cooler. I would say the show last for a couple of hours. You cannot be in the water while the planes are flying.

www.visitpensacolabeach.com/what/airshow.asp

Mentioned in this post
Pensacola Beach
Pensacola Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
florida panhandle
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Angels Show - July 2008

Come and stay all week. There is no need for a ticket, and seats are where you find them...bring your own and sit anywhere on the beach. You will need to get there early as this the biggest day for beach traffic. The Blue angels generally perform about 2 pm and last about 45 minutes. The best deal going is Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. They "practice" and do a full show at the beach 2pm daily weather permiting of course. The crowds are minimal during the week and you can change your view point based on your experience. Bring an umbrella, blanket and plenty of refreshments and you will have a memory that will last a lifetime. Don't forget the video camera, you will be amazed at the footage you can get.

DFW Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Angels Show - July 2008

I concur with fireman73, it is probably the best place to see the Blue Angels airshow.

If you are staying anywhere other than out on PCola Beach, you will need to leave early, very early, to get out to the beach.

Also, as stated in prior replies, take advantage of the practices that happen during the week, it is not as crowded. Saturday is a big beach party, best guess would be a couple of hundred thousand people. I haven't had a chance to come down for a couple of years, it might have gotten bigger or smaller????

It's big fun.

Birmingham...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Angels Show - July 2008

Thank you so much for all of the good information! I might re-think the Saturday show and try to get him down there on Friday, if it is going to be that crowded on Saturday! Good to know there are no tickets or reserved seats to deal with. Shows how much I knew about this! Thank you again!

Indy
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Angels Show - July 2008

Hi - we are going to be staying on Okaloosa Island and will be making a trip over the see one of the practices - Friday most likely - and I have a couple of questions. It looks like parking is limited - any suggestions on where to park for practice? I also see that trolleys run out to the beach area, where is parking for the trolleys located? Finally, is the road (399) from Navarre beach to Pensacola Beach open - on the satelite view it looks like it was wiped out by Ivan?

Thanks Much!

Mentioned in this post
Okaloosa Island
Okaloosa Island
1,265 Reviews
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Navarre Beach
Navarre Beach
1,292 Reviews
Navarre, FL
Pensacola Beach
Pensacola Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
ATLANTA, GA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Angels Show - July 2008

Does anyone know if you are allowed to be in a boat on the sound side during the show?

Thank you

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Angels Show - July 2008

No problem being in a boat on the Sound side. There will be tons of boaters and unfortunately many will be really drunk. Be careful out there.