We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

kentucky
Level Contributor
370 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

Hi guys! Y'all have been so good to help me out on these forums; I really appreciate it. Okay, here's the deal: my husband, who lived his younger, wilder days in Tampa, loved to frequent seafood places that were...well... not fancy. He said some had newspaper for tablecloths... anyway, he wanted me to ask if there are any places down your way that he can sit on the pier/beach/whatever and have a cold beer and great seafood without it being a "fancy place with fancy people". The closest thing I can find online that he has approved (by looks only) is 'Shuckums' but it's gotten some pretty bad reviews here and elsewhere. His favorite place used to be called "Shells" if any of y'all know it, but he says now they've gone upscale too. Okay, now get those great minds goin'!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!

orlando burb
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

j michaels at tresure island marina...seafood and kind of creole too...gumbo, read beans and rice, grouper, sauted oysters, raw oysters....he is supposed to move to the corner of north lagoon drive and thomas drive which he may have already done

a lot of folks like schooners, but not sure what their c food menu is like these days

captains table in st andrews has good c food

hunts oyster bar is one of the few places in pc i would eat oysters...they have been around forever

pennys rest just north of southport used to be a real dive but had real good c food...kind of a haul from the beach

rustlers reef on 23rd street c food not bad...had grouper and fried crab claws there last summer

for pricier but very good c food you can't beat captain andersons...go early...in the summer the wait can be 3 hours

have heard good and bad about the boat yard

pier 77 is kind of a dive but c food there this past summer was pretty good....billy's across from pier 77 used to be good, but some friends of mine say it has gone downhill lately

boars head c food should be good, but a little pricey....i hear salt water grill not as good as it used to be either

can't really comment on hammerhead freds, calypso, pompanos, mariner, or others

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

Hi Coacheswife......jtbrl posted some really good suggestions for good seafood in PCB. Here are some of the places we like to eat.

Two of our favorite places where you could sit out on the deck, drink a beer, Margarita or whatever and have some great seafood was Salty's and Laguna Grill. Unfortunately both have been closed to make room for another high rise condo moving in and taking over the beach. BOO HISS!!!! Salty's was next to our condo on Front

Beach Rd so we simply walked next door. After doing this for 10 + years we truly miss it now. Laguna Grill was at the corner of Thomas Dr and Front Beach Rd.

Last year we found Pier 77 and thought it was very good. I'm not sure if they have a deck you can eat on or not but the food was very good and the prices were reasonable. I definitely recommend it.

Schooners is a fun place to hang out. The only thing I've had there is their fried shrimp. While the portions are large I found the shrimp to be a little spicey---too much pepper. DH had the grilled grouper and said it was awesome. It's definitely a "laid back place" and you could go in during the day in your bathing suit and a coverup if you wanted.

Hammerhead Fred's is another favorite place but the wait time is LONG!! Food is very good although it's a little higher than Pier 77.

Capt Anderson's-- Yes, it's a good place to eat but it's very formal (I don't think I'd wear shorts,....capri's maybe but not shorts). However in my opinion, I don't think Capt Anderson's is a good as what everyone says it is...especially for the costs and how long you have to wait. Personally, I have found better food at other places for less price.

Boondocks is another place you might consider. It's out toward Ebro so a little bit of a drive depending on where you are staying but it's a nice place w/good food.

Haven't eaten at Shuckums b/c I think they're geared more toward raw oysters which I do NOT eat under any circumstances!!

Hope this little bit of info helps. I'm sure others will make some great suggestions.

Karen

kentucky
Level Contributor
370 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

Just as I suspected, you guys would have the best info! This list should keep him in crab legs and clams all week! I don't even like seafood, incidentally.... give me steak, Mexican, Italian or a good peanut butter sandwich and I'm a happy girl. Keep those suggestions, comin' guys! I love it!

THANK YOU

orlando burb
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

capt a's...i wouldn't call it formal...shorts would be okay

steak....angelos, rustlers reef, black angus

italian...everyone says sweet basils is good

orlando burb
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

sorry....forgot something....capt a's is pricey...informal would be okay.....not sure if i would wear just your bathing suit there....you can almost make a meal out of the crab finger appetizer or the charcoal shrimp appetizer...that and a greek salad and dessert and you would prolly be set.....but, the charcoal grilled grecian fish is good...pricey, but good...try the scamp, if they have it, or the pompano, or the grouper

here is menu

http://snipurl.com/18f74

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

Coach's Wife---I LOVE Seafood but I also LOVE Mexican and Italian. Unfortunately DH won't eat either -- he's strictly a meat, pinto beans and potatoes guy. THANK GOD a Cracker Barrel hasn't moved into PCB or we'd be eating there 2 or 3 times during the week!!

I have also heard some great things about Sweet Basil's but haven't been there---thanks to DH!!

Does anyone know anything about Montego Bay? There were 3 locations at one time but don't know if they're still there. Ate there once about 10 yrs ago; was pretty good....then we found Laguna Grill and haven't been back.

Capt Anderson's is good but it's way out of my pocketbook for 5 people. Last time I was in there (15 + yrs ago) ladies were in dress slacks and guys had on sport coats and slacks. I'm sure things have loosened up some since then so Capri's would probably be ok.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

Hey Karen - Montego Bay's owner sold them all to someone else a while back to concentrate on his more upscale restaurants (Saltwater Grill & Canopies) and the quality has gone way down. My FiL used to love it and says it's horrible now, we were not impressed by either of our visits.

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

The last time my family went, (June '06) Hunt's Oyster Bar is now known as Shay's Oyster Bar. Same location there on Grace St in Panama CIty.

Great oysters & great prices! We drove from our condo (Long Beach Resort) over to Shays 4-5 times that week for our oyster fix.

Jack

kentucky
Level Contributor
370 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

Thanks BamaJack and Bunnygirl! Someone else had told me that there was nowhere else to eat oysters but Hunts.... and being a PCB first timer, I appreciate the head's up about the name change.

And Bunnygirl, I will certainly stay away from the Montego Bay. Thank you guys so much... it's 8 degrees in Kentucky today, I am dreaming of vacation!!!!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
887 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Panama City Beach Experts I need some Seafood Help!!

My wife and I have been to PCB three times and are going again in June. I too like the funkier places where locals eat, rather than the pretentious tourist traps with overpriced menus. On our last visit, we found a little local place with good oysters, excellent, inexpensive seafood and real neighborhood ambiance. THe place was called Dusty's Oyster Bar. It was around the 15000 block of Front Beach Road (nearer the quieter West end of the PCB area). It is a real "joint" - fun people, ice cold cheap beer and good food. Give it a whirl. Another place, though it is more touristy, that we liked a lot on Thomas Drive was called Hammerhead Fred's - great salads and sandwiches, a good beer selection and reasonable. Dave M. St. Louis MO