We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tropical storm chris

Grantsburg,Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
tropical storm chris

I was looking at the Destin TA forum and several people are concerned with tropical storm Chris. It's the first I have heard about it. I do'nt watch the weather channel or much T.V ( I have a 2 year old. Anybody know anything about this storm? We are heading to PCB sunday.

orlando
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: tropical storm chris

i wouldn't worry about destin for this weekend, it's supposed to only be in the southern mouth of the gulf (down by FL straits) on sunday.

that said, i usually don't pay too much attn to the forecast until it gets a couple of days away (other than already being prepared with water, batteries, window covers etc) cause the paths/forecasts change every day.

we're going to daytona this weekend and i'm not worried at all.

FWIW, i like using NOAA's website rather than the weather channel's.

http://www.noaa.gov/

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
9,126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: tropical storm chris

A good site for weather and all kinds of storm tracking is the Weather Underground.

Check Chris at:

wunderground.com/tropical/…at200603_5day.html

OKC, OK
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: tropical storm chris

First of all Bunny, hope you are feeling better. Secondly, I agree why worry until you need to. Living in Oklahoma, I can tell you if we worried everytime a storm came that a tornado was going to drop out of it then we would all walk around with ice to our foreheads from all the migraines we would have. I bet PCB know how to weather a little rain, and from what I saw on weather.com the storm looked to be weakening.

Mentioned in this post
Oklahoma
Oklahoma
United States
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,223 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: tropical storm chris

As of the 11 AM update (on Thursday the 3rd), it's expected to be downgraded to a tropical storm by this afternoon. Shouldn't be anything more than wind and rain (if that) by the time it gets to the US.

The Dominican Republic has officially cancelled tropical storm warnings, although other governments are waiting to be certain.

Mentioned in this post
Hoschton, Georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: tropical storm chris

I am so glad to hear this. I thought my trip was going to be cancelled or delayed and now it looks like we will be able to go and enjoy our trip. We went through this last year with Hurricane Dennis so I really was stressing. 2 days and counting.

Indiana
Level Contributor
258 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: tropical storm chris

Lilbunnygirl,

I was getting worried about you! Sorry about your migrane! I get them too! Awful things!

Hope you had a wonderful anniversary! Welcome back!

To all,

Sunshine and Lilbunny are right. Can't worry over things that may not happen and can't be controlled even if they do.

Boysofsummer is also right. If we lived there we'd probably have a more laid back approach. It's kind of like tornados around here. I'm not heading to the basement until I hear or see it coming my way.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,223 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: tropical storm chris

Netterj, I grew up in Kosciusko County -- and the word 'tornado' still makes my blood run cold (and I still shudder just thinking about the sickly green the skies go when they come)

There are precious few tornadoes here, thankfully...

With hurricanes, you have several days' warning, instead of (maybe) a few minutes. There are tons of things to do, so you stay busy instead of sitting around fretting -- you might not be able to control the storm, but you can control how prepared you'll be!

If it looks really bad, I can load up the car with the wedding pictures, insurance policies, and passports and get out of Dodge...it's odd, but you learn to accept that so long as you get people and pets out of the way, you can cope with the rest of it.

Indiana
Level Contributor
258 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: tropical storm chris

Sunshine,

That's been exactly my argument with the few people who know we want to move down there. They always say something about the hurricanes. And I reply that I'd rather see it coming and have time to leave than to have no warning as with a tornado.

I hope you didn't think I was dismissing the dangers of tornados. One formed over the house I used to live in a few years back, and though it did no real damage to our place, it killed some folks in a factory and trailer park a mile away. I am afraid of them. I just don't go to the basement every time the sky turns green. I do, however, keep close watch on that sky! I imagine that's about how the residents of the gulf coast view hurricanes.

From this morning's report it sounds like Chris is fizzling. Let's hope so. I hope everyone has a safe and fun vacation next week!

19. Re: tropical storm chris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach