We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PCB in late August.....seaweed?

Westfield...
13 posts
Save Topic
PCB in late August.....seaweed?

Read a few notes about seaweed and the water turning algae like in the summer. Can anyone tell me if this type of water condition is common in mid-late August? What about jellyfish?

Thanks

Alabama
Level Contributor
657 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PCB in late August.....seaweed?

Seaweed and the algae-like stuff is an unpredictable risk anytime during the hot summer months June-Sept or so. There's really no way to predict it....you just have to roll with the punches and make the best of the hand nature deals. Usually, it's not a worry the rest of the year.

As for jellys, you'll see them here/there year-round for the most part. Sometimes more than others...not sure if there is a "worse" season for them or not. They want nothing to do with you...but you do have to be aware of them being washed into you by waves.

Ahh, the joys of sea nature!:)

Edinburgh, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: PCB in late August.....seaweed?

Hi,

we are a Scottish company with a seaweed business - we have noticed that there is frequently an algae bloom in summer - depending on the sea temperature - or prevailing currents. Yes, very common is our answer. Edible seaweed better to be picked before the bloom.

Cincinnati, Ohio
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: PCB in late August.....seaweed?

I have been the past two years, once in august and once in July. The seaweed was present both times. It really depends on what part of the beach you are on. Some parts are bad some aren't. You can usually find a way to get away from it. It really isn't that bad either. I have only seen cannon ball jellies that don't sting. And that was only out on a boat.

Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PCB in late August.....seaweed?

I would expect both. If you don't get any you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Or visit during October through December when both are most likely to be gone. Those are my favorite months.

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
Level Contributor
376 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PCB in late August.....seaweed?

Jellys, seaweed (sea grass, etc) and red tide depend upon the weather, currents and water temps. Sometimes the whole beach is affected, sometimes you can go 1/2 mile one way or the other and it's clear.

No way to know. Also, they are year around hazards. There's always Big Kahunas or the pools? June seems to be the worst, but again, it depends on the currents.

6. Re: PCB in late August.....seaweed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 18, 2014