We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

military mom looking for PCB suggestions

Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
military mom looking for PCB suggestions

My son is attending Navy dive school in Panama City and we plan to visit him in June. He has spent the last 9 months at Great Lakes Naval Training Center, near Chicago, so he's very happy to be where it is warm again (we live in San Diego). He only has the weekends off, so we will be cramming everything into 2 days. We are looking for a place to stay that would be near enough for him to walk to "nightlife" activities (suggestions please!), yet with a nice beach and good restaurants nearbyfor us. What should we see and do (in 2 days) while there? " It will be our last visit for awhile, so we want to make it memorable. Thanks in advance for your help!

Dothan, Alabama
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: military mom looking for PCB suggestions

H! ry123teacher! My suggestions for your stay would be either the new boardwalk beach resort condos or the summit condos.Both are near club lavela and spinnaker which are the two big night life clubs on pcb and both clubs sit right next to each other.The summit is right next door to both clubs and the boardwalk beach resort condos are just a short walk down the beach.The summit is an older complex but it is well kept up with some of the units being better than others depending on who owns them.The new boardwalk beach resort condos just opened last summer and are very nice.Just make sure if you stay there you stay in the new condo complex and not the old hotel part which is right next door.It's a little more upscale than summit but it's also more expensive.So it just depends on how much you want to spend.As far as restaurants go you will have to drive to most of the good ones if you stay at the summit or boardwalk but they are not far.My suggestions for restaurants would be pineapple willies,schooners(which also has good night life),the boatyard,boars head,treasure ship,angelo's,pompano's and captain andersons.There are other places that are good too those are just a few of my suggestions.As far as things to do i would suggest going to saint andrews state park which is very nice.They have several things to do there including a shuttle boat that takes you to a little island right off the coast called shell island.Which is a neat little place to explore.Also there is a place called gulf world which is a minature version of sea world from disney world.The new ripleys believe it or not theme park is supposed to be open by the begining of june and i'm sure will be worth checking out.There are also several putt putt places and a water park called shipwreck island.If you need more information try going to www.thebeachloversbeach.com.It has all kinds of information on pcb including things to do,places to stay,and places to eat.Also if you're renting a condo go to www.vrbo.com.There you can rent condos directly from the owners instead of going through the resorts.It will save you money doing it that way.I hope this information helps and i hope you have wonderful time in pcb! =)

Indiana
Level Contributor
258 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: military mom looking for PCB suggestions

Hi, ry123teacher!

I live near Chicago so I know how your son feels. (I'm jeapous) My cousin was stationed there for training as well. My daughter-in-law is from San Diego. Small world, eh?

From what I've been reading on this forum and a couple of others, bamabatt is right on the money. I'll be taking his suggestions on our trip this summer as well. He seems to be a varitable warehouse of websites and PCB info. One place he didn't mention is Ruthie T's. We ate there once when we were there a few years ago and liked it. According to the responses I got on another posting, it's still there.

Hope you have a great visit with your boy. Sad when they grow up and move away, isn't it? Kind of liberating too, though.

Bamabatt, where do you get all those websites? :)

Dothan, Alabama
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: military mom looking for PCB suggestions

Hi netterj! I just do a google search for panama city beach and it brings up alot of those web sites.The ones that have really useful information i use myself and like to pass on to other people that need good information too.Also i was very fortunate to grow up in panama city till i was 14 years old( i am now 37).My father changed jobs and we moved to dothan alabama which is only 80 miles away from pcb.We always continued to go back down and vacation in pcb and visit my mothers family who lives down there.And being that it only takes about an hour and a half to get down there from dothan we could go down there just about anytime we wanted to.Which is something i have never taken for granted because i know there are alot of people that wish they lived as close.I consider myself lucky to live this close to paradise.Anyway my parents moved back down to panama city 12 years ago.I am married and continue to live and work in dothan but my wife and i go to pcb several times a year.In fact our anniversary is may 11th and we will be down in pcb on the 12th for 5 nights in a condo next to schooners! Only a little over a week left and we can't wait! And since i know the area really well i like to give people advice who are less familar with pcb and hope that it helps them.I have alot of great memories of growing up in pcb. I know the area is changing but i will continue to vacation there and hopefully move back down there one day.And even though some of the places where some of my memories were made are leaving or are gone, i will always cherish those memories and i will make new memories in the new places with my family.netterj and ry123teacher i hope you have a wonderful time in pcb and if you need any more advice just post it and i will do my best to answer it correctly. =)

Alabama
Level Contributor
657 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: military mom looking for PCB suggestions

bamabatt hit the nail on the head with Boardwalk and the Summit for your needs. Boardwalk will be a quieter place, but it is going to be more expensive. Summit is more reasonably priced, but you will have alot more teen-20s partying. Definately chech out www.vrbo.com for the best deals. Have fun!