We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

Indiana
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

When I made the reservation, all I was thinking about was beautiful beaches and a nice, spacious condo for very little money (used timeshare exchange). Now I'm getting my eyes opened about taking 4 boys (ages 5-13) to the Wyndham Resort for spring break March 20th - 27th. Please let me know what to expect and be brutally honest. I called the Wyndham and they rent to 21 yrs and over. Biggest concerns - I don't want to take my kids on an x-rated vacation (or R for that matter) and it being too crowded to be enjoyable (excessively long waits for restaurants, putt-putt, no space to spread out on beach...etc). Should we make restaurant reservations in advance? I'm seriously considering scrapping these plans and heading to Orlando - should I do it or am I worrying too much? Is Orlando typically alot warmer than PCB?

Any advice or reassurance is appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Driftwood Lodge
Driftwood Lodge
#4 of 49 hotels in Panama City Beach
Osprey on the Gulf
Osprey on the Gulf
#5 of 49 hotels in Panama City Beach
Sheraton Bay Point Resort
Sheraton Bay Point Resort
#6 of 49 hotels in Panama City Beach
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

Hi there! Well, I can tell you that as a mother myself of two young kids (4&7), I always worry a bit about what I'm going to find during spring break. The first thing we always take into consideration is location. I try to stay on the far east or west end where you won't have the majority of the spring break crowd. I'm not sure where the Wyndham is, but if you're on one of the "ends" you should be OK. It worries me that their policy is to rent to anyone over the age of 21 and not 25. I would feel much more comfortable if they wouldn't rent to under 25.

As far as weather goes, it has been awful down there so far. Much colder than normal and the long range forecast isn't much better. Granted, there could be a huge warm up by the time you go, but you will definitely have better luck with warmth if you go to Orlando. The downside to Orlando is the HUGE crowds down there and you don't have the beach. I would much rather take my chances and hope for beautiful, sunny days on the beach than walk around an overcrowded theme park. Even if you find that the spring break crowd is out of hand, there are plenty of other more secluded beaches to go to. St. Andrews state park is beautiful and draws more families. Shell Island would be a fun day trip, too. I wouldn't scrap your plans just yet. Also, if you cancel this close won't you lose your money? I think you'll be OK with restaurants, but keep in mind that they will be crowded. If you go early enough you should be OK.

We're going to be in PCB 4/3-4/10. By then the college spring break crowd will be gone and we'll be left with high school and families. Hopefully the weather will warm up between now and then. Let us know what decision you make!

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
St. Andrews State Park
St. Andrews State Park
1,740 Reviews
Panama City Beach, FL
Shell Island
Shell Island
1,754 Reviews
Panama City Beach, FL
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

Our reservation is for the week of 4/11. I am hoping that most of the college crowd will be gone by then, but just how bad are the teenagers/high schoolers?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

We've never had issues with the kids on high school spring break. Most of them are with "adults" and have been well behaved. Also, even high school spring break should be over by 4/11.

Georgia
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

I've been wondering the same thing, and researching and reading up on this - and I think we will be ok. I looked up where your resort is, and it is farther west from the 'party' areas. Good luck and share a trip report when you return , i'll be leaving the next week.

pensacola
Level Contributor
711 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

Put your mind at ease. The Wyndham/ Emerald Resort is on the west end of PCB...about a mile east of PIer Park mall area. This is not the college spring break area! Wyndham is a first class resort...I am a timeshare member. There will be much security to keep outsiders away. The weather this spring so far has been unusually cool...not beach time. The daytime is warming up nicely...but nights quite cool. There are 3 pool areas available at resort. I frequent this resort about three times a year. Need more info? Contact me. You will have a great time. There is no ice or snow here!!!

Mentioned in this post
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
305 Reviews
Panama City Beach, FL
Bryant, AL.
Level Contributor
299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

We stayed at the Wyndham/Emerald Beach Resort last year for spring break. We also had the same concerns about the timing and although it was a little crowded, we didn't have any big problems. The only thing that was a concern was some of the younger people got a little loud at the pool one day with foul language, but security quickly addressed the problem. I did get woke up a few times during the night by people reving engines on the street but for the most part it was a great trip. I would keep my reservations if I were you. The Wyndham is a very nice place to stay and it is hard to get into a reservation there. I hope this helps you a little.

Mentioned in this post
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
305 Reviews
Panama City Beach, FL
Indiana
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

Thank you all for your replies! I am feeling much more comfortable now with the decision to stay in PCB. I'm glad to hear the hotel does take security measures to make sure things don't get out of hand. Of course, I do hope the weather improves significantly by then, but either way, the weather and the views will surely be better than Indiana!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,019 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

I think you should be fine going in April. A lot of the high school and all the college kids will be back in school. That is the one thing that I do not like about PCB and other areas of Florida that allow people under the age of 25 to rent condos and hotels. We were in the middle of high school spring break one year and vowed never to return to PCB during March/April. That is why if we go during spring break we stay in the Seagrove Beach area or go over to the Atlantic side and stay near Amelia Island.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Seagrove Beach
Seagrove Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
2,188 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

Oops! Spring Break in PCB is a huge party. Hopefully you'll be far away from the cheaper motels where the college kids are. My son is staying in a dump with his frat brothers this week and this summer he'll be with his family staying in a lovely condo in Destin. Sounds like you are okay with your hotel. Next year i would suggest Destin. Hopefully your hotel is too high of a price range and they won't rent to kids under 25. Hope your vacation goes well. There is a good pirate cruise for kids and some type of place where your kids can feed the dolphins.

Edited: 7:07 pm, March 06, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What did I get myself into? Taking family on spring break.

You should be fine in the area that you are in. PC Beach has over 13 miles of beach. Pleanty of room to spread out. Spring break tends to be concentrated to the super clubs and Holiday Inn area. Hooters, Taco Bell and other fast foods will be crowded but most other places are not to bad. You should have a great time.