We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest way to PCB from Huntsville,Al way?????

KY
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Quickest way to PCB from Huntsville,Al way?????

Ok, this is a question for anyone that usually drives from the Huntsville, Al direction on I-65 (we're coming from KY/TN line area). I have consulted 2 different sources: Rand McNally Online and Mapquest online for driving directions.

Rand McNally says to get off on exit 168 to US-80 E for @280 miles.....

Mapquest says to go fom I-65 to I-85 for 6 miles then US-82, then AL-87 which turns into FL-81S (WHEW, seems like a lot of steps)....

So, anyone that's travelled this way before, I would appreciate any info on the BEST route there :). Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest way to PCB from Huntsville,Al way?????

we take I-65 down to Montgomery and then take Hwy 231. It is four lane all the way and take you directly to panama city. Once you get to panama city there are plenty of signs to get you to the beaches. If you go this way when you get to Dothan you will have to make a few right turns so be sure to watch the signs.

Mentioned in this post
Dothan
Dothan
Alabama
KY
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest way to PCB from Huntsville,Al way?????

Thanks, that does help because when I was looking at a map I noticed that one of the roads they're calling US80 (I think) is 231 which looked like it would get us to PCB just fine. Thanks again.

Panama City Beach
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest way to PCB from Huntsville,Al way?????

Busymom3, pjmchurch is right on with the directions.

Huntsville, Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickest way to PCB from Huntsville,Al way?????

I would suggest a different route. If you drive pretty fast on the interstate, stay on I-65 well past Montgomery. Exit at state route 106 (Georgianna, I think). Then follow this road a few miles and then get on state route 55 (it may be US 31 for part of the way). Continue on to Florala and then switch over to 331. Despite what you see on the map, 55 is 4 lanes most of the way, and there is minimal traffic as opposed to the more common routes. In miles, it is a little longer, but the extra time on I-65 more than makes up for it, plus I find that you can go a little faster on 55 than on 231 or 331. If you take this route, just make sure you have your map handy. It's now our preferred route after trying numerous others.

Mentioned in this post
Port St Joe FL
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Quickest way to PCB from Huntsville,Al way?????

I've made the trip from Tennessee (Nashville) to Panama City several times and I always take I-65 to US 231. It is more direct.

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
KY
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quickest way to PCB from Huntsville,Al way?????

Thanks for the posts, if we're staying on the west end of the beach would 231 still be best way or 331?

hby
Level Contributor
8 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quickest way to PCB from Huntsville,Al way?????

The difference between one end of the beach or the other is only about 5 to 10 minutes if you use Back Beach Road (US98). So either route mentioned above will work just fine. Having made many trips and having been both ways. I also say the Route 55/US331 Route is about a half an hour quicker than the US231(Dothan) Route. Both are very pretty drives and I normally go one way and return the other. Either way, I hope you enjoy your trip to PCB!

Mentioned in this post
Dothan
Dothan
Alabama
KY
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quickest way to PCB from Huntsville,Al way?????

Thanks, I think we'll try it that way. It's always nice to see new places, we leave tomorrow and I'm definitely ready to go. Thanks to everyone for all their help!

Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach