We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks and Thunder Rally

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sharks and Thunder Rally

Hello-

Are there many sharks in PCB? I saw somewhere that a some years ago someone was attacked close to Shell Island. My worst fear is those bull sharks because it seems everytime you read about the attacks people are knee deep or waist deep in water.

Also

Does it get wild during Thunder Rally week? It will be going on during the last part of our vacation I noticed in Sept. I have 4 teenage boys and I know at some of the other Rally's there is alot of flashing body parts (trying to be tactful).

Thanks for any info

Marietta Ga
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks and Thunder Rally

hi lovelorn

i asked about sharks in a previous post heres the respones from lilbunnygirl(the expert from this area) and jbtorl

There are sometimes sharks, but if you don't go out too far and don't swim right next to the piers, you shouldn't see any.

My husband is in the water every day for his job, and neither he nor any of his co-workers have been stung by a jellyfish in two years, and they don't see them too often (though I know some people here have been stung).

We see rays sometimes at the beach, but they'll avoid people so long as you avoid stepping on them (do the stingray shuffle when you walk)

The odds are against being hurt by anything in the water, we've lived here for two and a half years, and like I said my husband dives every day for his job and we go to the beach a great deal, neither of us has never ever had a close call.

sharks are always out there somewhere.....more sightings seem to occur on the atlantic side especially around new smyrna

jellyfish, out there too...portuguese man-of-war are the worst...can't remember when the season is up there...adolph's meat tenderizer works well if you get stung

if i was him, i would be more worried about sting rays or skates...drag your feet when you go into / out of the water...don't step

also, look out for stinging nettles on / in the sand dunes...the look like this...link...http://snipurl.com/....they hurt and itch if you touch or step on them...we like to refer to them as itchy b#*chies...

2. Re: Sharks and Thunder Rally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach