We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
215 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

I am taking my family on a trip to the Destin/Ft Walton or Panama City area in mid october and am looking for a hotel.

We're on a budget and need to stay under $80 per night. I have a reserv. already for Holiday Inn in Destin, but can't help but feel lured to the cheaper rates of the $50/night places in Panama City.

I have read the reviews for Beachbreak Inn and Quality Inn in Panama City and have seen the pictures. I don't want to go to a dirty unkept beach, but it's hard to tell from the pictures I have seen of these 2 places.

Any thoughts??

London, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

I would recommend sticking with Destin!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

Stick with Destin! Panama City is starting to attrack a lot of the college students durring spring break. As such the city is turning into another "Daytona Beach". I feel you will likely enjoy your stay in Destin more..

bainbridge ga 39819
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

I live about 2 hours from Panama City, your best bet is Destin you will love it! My husband and I go threr all the time, with the kids. It is clean and they have a huge outlet mall there right across from the street from the beaches. Go for it!!!!!!!

U.S.A
Level Contributor
414 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

Definitely go with Destin. Panama City really isn't a family destination these days. It really caters to Spring Breakers and therefore they spend the summer and fall fixing up the damage and just general wear and tear that a month of college kids does to the place. I really used to like Panama City, but it has went down hill as a family destination.

North Charleston...
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

I don't agree with the other posters. Spring break is a few short weeks in the spring -- not year 'round. There are great family attractions in PCB all year without the high prices of Destin (both in shopping and in dining), not to mention the horrible TRAFFIC in Destin. I hardly go there anymore to outlet mall because there is basically one road -- Hwy 98. And everyone drives on it. Everyone. All the time. Everyone.

Also, many people are worried that PCB is becoming too much like Destin (too many condos, too high priced) and that it's losing some of it's charm of small motels and diners. Such is progress, I guess.

There are events at least once a month that draw visitors here from surrounding states, such as softball tournaments, Thunder Beach, the Indian Summer Seafood Festival, etc. All of these family events.

Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

If your only concern is between the beaches--Panama City and Destin are comparative.

South Walton County--(Tops'L, San Destin, Miramar Beach, Crystal Beach) is undergoing a beach renourishment right now. This MAY impact your expereince at those beaches. Because the work schedule location may vary during the renourishment, it would be best to check with the local hotel you will be staying at for the time period of your visit. Or, you can keep up with the process at www.protectwaltoncountybeaches.com

Both Panama City Beach and Destin have beautiful beaches!

Don't forget the sunscreen.

mars
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

The beach renourishment project is scheduled to be totally finished by the end of June. So that shouldn't be a concern at all.

Destin and Panama City Beach are not even in the same league. Destin is much nicer.

Also, October is "off" season so rates should be better. The Holiday Inn would not be my choice, maybe you can look into other places???

st.charles
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

I have been to both beaches, and must say that I totally love pcb. The beaches are exactly the same, but one thing to know is pcb has an ocean sunset and destin does not. I had no idea before we booked destin a few years back, and was very disappointed to see the sun go over buildings instead of the magnificant ocean sunsets we experienced in pcb. Also, people say destin is more upscale and I just found it to be more snooty and less friendly. Anyway, we are taking our family back to pcb this August and staying at gulf crest for first time. Has anyone stayed there??? Thanks

9. Re: Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:00 pm, April 09, 2006
Indianapolis
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Panama City vs Destin Area...which beaches are...

I just got back from Destin a week ago today. I went there with one of my friends for spring break. Neither of us had been there before, but we were more than happy with the outcome. When we arrived I remember paying at a toll booth before the Bay bridge and once we payed and started driving we looked right, then left, and it was heaven... the beauty of the place hit us immediatley. Beautiful beaches, plenty of restaurants, fast food places, stores, and an awesome mall. Destin was without a doubt one of the best vacations I have been on and I will most definetly be going back. One more thing, the water was so CLEAR! You can see your feet when the water is at your chest! And don't forget sunblock, i got excited when i saw all the pretty ladies and got absolutely fried! Have a good trip--!

Get answers to your questions about Panama City