We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PT bird’s 2nd trip report Day two - kidney stone issues;-)

Which Ormond Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tonbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
PT bird’s 2nd trip report Day two – kidney stone issues;-)

Well after our bacon and English muffin breakfast we started rearranging the furniture back to where it should have been. Our first set of renters from Canada obviously didn’t care for the aesthetic of the place and moves stuff round in the most ridiculous way! Never mind, it is back to our style now. We also got our personal boxes out of the garage store room and put them where they should be including a 1950’s Zenith radio which only plays AM of course – luckily Ormond Beach has a 50s and 60s radio station on AM which is nice to listen to in the morning after an hour of News 13...

We decided to go yard saling but as it was 93 degrees the yard salers seem to have all gone down the beach, so we decided to take a trip to Flagler Beach to have a look round – we normally drive through to go to St Augustine but we never stop there. We parked near the pier – had a walk down the boardwalk deck and then visited the pier. It cost us $1.50 each to visit the pier – fisherman cost $6. The ticket seller won the prize of being the first person to ask “are you guys British or Australian?” and then proceeded to tell us that his wife is Irish/Swiss and that she watches a British series on the PBS channel and did we watch it? He didn’t know the name of it so I assumed it was Eastenders or Corrie. But he said she laughed all the way through and that he didn’t understand British humour – couldn’t have been Eastenders then!

After the pier which was like most other piers but had lovely memorial wooden planks on the floor with inscriptions such as “John Smith, gone fishin’ 1-1-1930 – 1-5-2009” we went for a stroll down the beach. It was pretty packed being a Sunday but lovely sand and lapping water on your ankles .

We walked back to the car via the Golden Lion cafe which is a nice Oceanview bar with a barlady from New York. We had a Bud Light each and sat talking to a couple of regulars – one lives in Long Island and said if we ever went there we should go and visit the Big Duck then him and the bar lady giggled – he then explained about the ducklands and that someone who had an outlet store there had a massive duck made to advertise the shop. He said it has been moved a few times but is still going strong. Then we had an appetiser – Andy had chicken tenders and I had the coconut chicken which wasn’t cooked so they brought me back some normal shrimp. They were yummy.

After the pub the tiredness kicked in so we went back for a sleep – it is 93 degrees and it really takes the energy out of you. My kidney stone was also on the move and the pain was giving me a bit of gip.

Woke up about five and then we did a big shop at our local Publix at the Ormond Mall which has just re-opened after a refurb. Got a free taste of their skillet shepherd’s pie – free dinner for me – filled me right up.

TV was one hour of Simpsons, The Cleveland Show and the 150th episode of Family Guy which was gross but great – Went to bed about 10pm and got a great night’s sleep .

Here I am typing this at 8am listening to the radio – another hot day today – might be cooler on Wednesday. The valves on the radio get hot !!

One thing I do want to know is, on the way to Flagler we noticed a load of caterpillar/roaches – not sure which but they are reddish brown – crossing the road from the park to the beach in the hundreds – what are they and do they not realise that most of them will get squished!

That is part two. (Part one is on the Orlando forum) Off to the beach tomorrow so won’t bother with a TR for just that.

1. Re: PT bird’s 2nd trip report Day two – kidney stone issues;-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 31, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Ormond Beach