We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tornado near Orlando. . .

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brantford
Level Contributor
298 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tornado near Orlando. . .

Anyone local able to tell us what area affected by the tornado that has hit central Fl area? I know power is out in extensive areas and lots of damage. . .

Hoping all of our local friends doing well. . .

massachusetts
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tornado near Orlando. . .

The Lake County Sheriff's Department said there were "several" fatalities in the town of Lady Lake. Some mobile home parks in the area were hit, including Sunshine Mobile Home Park in Lady Lake and another near Spencer's Loop, the department said.

On I-4 at State Road 44 in Volusia County -- on central Florida's east coast -- winds blew four tractor-trailers off the interstate along with a U-Haul truck towing a car.

Television footage from New Smyrna Beach showed homes damaged and destroyed along Nordman Street. Local authorities said there were injuries but no fatalities.

The storm hit residential areas northwest of the airport in New Smyrna Beach, and a police spokeswoman said officials were scrambling to reconnect power in the area and set up a command center.

Heavy rains and thunderstorms swept across nearby Orange County, but spokesman Greg Collins said there were no reports of "tornadic activity" and no injuries or deaths.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tornado near Orlando. . .

Watching this on FOX News right now. Send our thoughts to those caught up in all this - the damage to life and property looks awful.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tornado near Orlando. . .

The more I see, the worse it seems. Hope you folks are OK.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
343 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tornado near Orlando. . .

It is looking to be very bad. Not only Lady Lake but also Deland, which is north of Orlando. So far they've said there are at least 14 fatalities. There were so many houses totally demolished. It's such a sad sight to see on tv. Hopefully, the people affected will get financial assistance.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tornado near Orlando. . .

any word on Leesburg, Grand Island, Deltona? I have friends and family in those cities?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
343 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tornado near Orlando. . .

None of those cities was mentioned in the news. Deltona is just south of Deland but they have not said anyplace in Deltona was affected.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tornado near Orlando. . .

I heard from my uncle in Leesburg. All is well in that town. He said the storms went through the same path as the one before Christmas. Lady Lake was hit the hardest.

Winnipeg Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tornado near Orlando. . .

Does anyone know if Clermont sustained any damage? I have friends currently vacationing down there.

Our prayers are with all those in the affected area.

orlando burb
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tornado near Orlando. . .

clermont is fine...nothing happened there

Winnipeg Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply