We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

Traveling with 2 kids, ages 8 & 12. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and have 7:30am flight at the Orlando Airport. We will also have a rental car to return.

I see on Maps that it's at least a 30 minute drive, and so we would be leaving AKL around 5am.

I'm trying to decide if I forgo our last night at AKL, and stay in a hotel at MCO. What are your thoughts?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
187 reviews
1. Re: Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

Are you going to be out late the night before?

I'd be inclined to save the money and move to the airport. That is a very early start unless you are spending the evening prior resting and just enjoying the resort.

Even if its a weekday at least you shouldn't encounter rush hour traffic that early.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
233 reviews
2. Re: Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

30 minutes Max. 417 straight to MCO, Stay at AK, Saves messing around with your luggage etc!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
19,163 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

"I'm trying to decide if I forgo our last night at AKL, and stay in a hotel at MCO. What are your thoughts?"

My choice would be to stay near the airport and save money AND stress. If I were traveling, I'd also try to be at the airport by 5:30 AM.

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
849 posts
86 reviews
4. Re: Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

We stayed at Residence Inn by the airport one year before a morning flight. My husband returned the rental car in the evening and then we used the hotel airport shuttle in the morning.

Early morning is never the best time for my son, so I would want to minimize the drive and allow for more sleep, if possible.

5. Re: Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, September 30, 2016
Edited: 2:35 pm, September 30, 2016
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,739 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

We always stay at the airport when we have an early flight and when we land later in the evening. There's about 20 hotels (on either side of Semoran Blvd about 1.5 miles from MCO);they all have shuttles and most offer breakfast in the room rate. We like the Embassy Suites MCO,Gateway Courtyard,Doubletree MCO,Residence Inn MCO and the Renaissance. You can often get a great price on Priceline

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

Thanks everyone, for your advice! We will most likely switch to an airport hotel.

(The only thing holding me back is that it's a "family reunion" and everyone is staying that last night, checking out in the morning, but they are not flying..)

Edited: 1:06 pm, October 01, 2016
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

Here's a thought. You have family there so why not return the car the day before and use Disney transport to take you to the airport the next morning? That way you enjoy the last evening with your family and no packing and unpacking at an airport hotel as well as no car rental return. Also get to check your bags in at AKL. Enjoy a 6:00 am breakfast at the airport.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,739 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

Since the ME picks up 2 hours before flight time,that means they pick you up at 5:30am. Seems like an airport hotel would be so much easier than getting up even earlier to get dressed and packed and check out than that IMO-and you don't actually have to unpack everything at the airport hotel. The hotels also all have shuttles so you can return the car and have a shuttle pick you and and take you back to the airport.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
76 reviews
10. Re: Animal Kingdom Lodge to MCO, early morning

>>Seems like an airport hotel would be so much easier than getting up even earlier to get dressed and packed and check out << We would pack and check out the night before. . Spending time at AKL with family would trump getting up a little early for us.