We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

Liverpool, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

I am going to be in Orlando for 4 days with 3 other people. While two of them are going to the parks, myself and one other will not be. We won't have a car and are of limited mobility. So my question is...does anyone know where we could stay that would put us in the centre of things so we could do gentle walks to do something...anything, really...or is Orlando too big for that? We just don't want to be stuck in a villa/condo all day looking at the walls!! Everything seems to be geared (!) towards cars and the theme parks!

I'd so appreciate any insider or local knowledge. Thank you.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

They mostly are for tourists. I find plenty of stuff to do, but I have a car

If you want to be able to go to some of the smaller attractions, restaurants, bars, etc - I Drive between Sand Lake and the Convention Center.

If you want something more natural, you will either need to be an hour from the theme parks or have a car.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,585 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

Are you willing to pay for taxi or take public bus systems?

I-Drive is really the only "lots within a short walking distance" location in the area, plus it has the I-Ride Trolley you could use to get up and down the road if walking becomes too difficult.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,062 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

Orlando is not a pedestrian friendly city at all and with limited mobility, public transportation would be difficult. I'd suggest staying at a Disney Springs hotel. There are some good choices,you can walk to Disney Springs and across SR535 to the Crossroads.At least there are a fair number of stores and restaurants and you can take a boat ride on a Disney boat at DS.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
353 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

How about something like the Hilton Lake Buena Vista which is just over the road from Disney Springs?

An easy walk over to DS where you can wander around or have a seat, look at the shops, soak up the atmosphere, get something to eat.

There are loads of other hotels in that area, but the Hilton may be the closest.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,062 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

There are 7 hotels at Disney Springs and three of them at Hilton. The Palace-now a Hilton-is a little closer to DS and its easier to cross the street from there

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,853 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

I am with posts 4/5.

Disney springs area is great for you, and you can get free buses from there to the Disney resorts- which are great for visiting. Esp the Delux ones with monorail or boat transport. Hae a look around, have a meal

But dont limit yourself- you might love a park. Hire some ECVs or a wheel chair and have a go.. Be a child again?

International drive can be good for non drivers, but if you are disabled I think being near/onsite to disney could be best for you.

Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

I would stay at a large resort such as Reunion or Champions Gate- you will have tennis, golf, lots of pools, you can rent bicycles and ride for miles and miles inside the developments which are very pedestrian friendly, enjoy the spa one day, eat at several on site restaurants – and if you want to go do some shopping you can easily call and Uber and have them take you to Disney springs or the outlets. You could also take an Uber to Winter Park and spend the day on the chain of lakes tour or just enjoying the alfresco shopping experience.

Omagh, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

Maybe this is a silly question - can I still visit disney springs without a park ticket??

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,951 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

No ticket required for Disney Springs

Check out the website for things to do and places to eat

10. Re: Orlando Trip with No Theme Parks!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 26, 2017