We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb holiday

Ashford, kent...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Feb holiday

Hi. This is my first posting and have enjoyed viewing other people's reviews and questions. We are over in Florida next Friday (9th Feb) for 2 weeks and wonder if there are any little suggestions that can make the holiday run a little smoother?

We've got our accomodation, car hire and park tickets arranged and luckily BA have sorted themselves out now, so one less worry I hope. There are 4 adults and one child (girl aged 10) going and I just want it to be as perfect as possible (you know what I mean)

Any help would be brilliant

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,452 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb holiday

My best advise for theme parks is to go as early as you can in the day and be there when the gates open. The first 1.5 hours or so at theme parks is relatively slow for crowds, and you can cover a lot of ground during those hours.

This year, you'll need to pack for two seasons, I'm afraid. It's been unusually cold in Orlando recently and the forecast may not change any before you leave. You'll need layers to add and shed as the day progresses, and possibly some rain gear (it's also been much more rainy than usual).

Good luck and have a wonderful holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb holiday

Be aware that the weekend of Feb. 16-19, during part of your trip ,is the President's Day holiday here in the US- kids have at least Feb. 19 off from school and some have the entire week- so many family vacations are planned for those days. The theme parks will be busier than normal on that weekend, so you might want to plan something different and less crowded for that time.

Northeast PA
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb holiday

Also their is some kind of Cartoon convention the weekend of the Feb. 16-18(my daughter is trying to get me to take her) so their will be extra kids with families in the area that at some point will be going to the theme parks.

Engalnd
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb holiday

Hi,

Have a lovely time!

Expect to not do everything and see everything.... Buy a book so you have in your mind the layouts of the parks and the things you really want to see... to give you some idea of size, we went for two weeks, didn't have a "day off", Went to Disney (all parks including water), Universal (all parks) then shopped two full days... and didn't get time to see the other parks/space centre/seaworld et et, the place is massive, massive massive! (from one brit to another! ;) ).

Beware!! You will get very wet on the water rides, so if anyone hates getting wet feet, trousers, undies et use the lockers in the parks to store dry stuff (airtight bags are good too)

Some of the parks have refillable cups for drinks.. buy ONE ;)

Fast Pass everything you can... go on rides lunch times, and at the end of the day (worked in August don't know about Feb) the lines can be long... the lines are always enjoyable in their own right (the first few times anyway!)

Don't know if you have ever heard of a "topping bar" I hadn't, but Disney have them in some of their in park resturants. You buy the plain burger and then there is a buffet with salad, mushrooms, onion, relishes that you can help yourself to.

The ET ride is a very dated and made my girls laugh, they were 18,17 and 15! Narnia is saddly dull, but looks so promising! " We felt we wasted our time on those two.

Space Mountain is hostile! it is one of the bumpyest rides I have ever been on, killed everyones necks.

The Hulk is amazing (try to sit on one of the two inside seats) second row from the front :)

Men in Black was so much fun for us as a family "game/ride" if you love shooting at Aliens.... six times in a row we went on...lol

Sorin' looks as if it is going to be dull (dullest line ever) but is totally amazing.

Tower of Terror, even if you don't think you will ride it, take the time to cue up.... then say you have changed your mind when you reach the front...the ride looks (and is, in my opinion) a work of art.

I have to stop here with the ride's review, way to many to talk about!

Epcot fireworks are amazing as are Disneys, well worth staying even if the cues are HORRIBLE from Epcot when they close. Trick with Disney we found is to shop/browse on the way out in the evening much more peaceful way to leave.

Remember where you parked the car! lol

Well I hope I have been helpful... and not to long winded...

Jan

Mentioned in this post
Space Mountain
Space Mountain
340 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,397 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Ashford, kent...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Feb holiday

thanks very much for the posts. Something else I thought of was, is it worth getting "Walkie Talkies"? We heard that another group went out and they found them very useful. We are all family (group of 5)but there may be times when we may want to go our own seperate ways and I suspect finding each other may be an issue, especially waiting for each other in queues.

J

Northeast PA
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feb holiday

If you buy the cheap ones with only a few channels their will be 100s of people all taking at the same time on the channels, even if you get the muti-band ones (Last ones I saw was like 8 bands with 10 channels each) your still going to be fighting to hear each other.

Its not just the other guests you have to worry about fighting with to get on the channel they are big with contractors, and other businesses. They say the range is up to 3 miles its alot more depending on the terain, my kids have cheap ones that say the range is only 1 mile and we pick up the workers at the ski resort 12 miles away.

Engalnd
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feb holiday

Hi,

We met up with friends who lives in Florida and they uses Walkie Talkies, but we just found them a pain. In the end we just used our mobile phones to send messages (our UK taraff was cheaper to use in the US than the American one my friend has! - but check yours if thats what you want to do)

We "prank called" when we were coming off a ride. Most of the time the folk not going on the ride were just happy to sit down and drink something cold in the A/C for a while.

Jan

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
8. Re: Feb holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 25, 2009