We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animal Kingdom in the rain?

4 posts
Save Topic
Animal Kingdom in the rain?

We are flying in Thursday and scheduled to go to animal kingdom this Friday but the weather is saying 100% chance of rain! I understand that the weather can change quickly down there but am just wondering how likely is it that the day will be washed out completely? Should we change to Saturday or Sunday?

We are bringing out 8 month old son with our other two children so that's my concern.

Any advice from locals or past visitors of Disney? Am so lost as this is our first time there!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
517 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Animal Kingdom in the rain?

How long is your visit?

Level Contributor
1,914 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Animal Kingdom in the rain?

I would just keep checking because, as you said, the weather changes quickly. Accuweather is currently predicting mostly cloudy with some showers and thunderstorms but not all day long. I would wait until closer to Friday to make the call. Too hard to call this early in the week I think.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Animal Kingdom in the rain?

We have never visited this early in the season, but we are coming in June, and our plan is to get to parks early and if it rains we will persevere, or head back to resort.

We have had very wet days in July, but if you are in a park that has a lot of inside stuff then usually works out.

We have completely missed a downpour, by going into Men in Black at Universal and coming out to puddles.

If you have other parks planned for your visit might be an idea to switch things around, AK not the best in full down pour.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5,149 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Animal Kingdom in the rain?

I'm not sure what forecast you are looking at but the current local forecast shows a 40% chance. Almost never will you see 100% chance of rain on any given day.

I would stick with the local sites to check forecast.

www.wftv.com

www.wesh.com

www.wkmg.com

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Animal Kingdom in the rain?

Yes, it might help by watching the local news instead of trying to interpret the percentage. They have it at 40-50% for the Central Florida viewing area. From what I heard, not meant to be a wash out, but on again off again possibility Thursday and Friday as a front moves south and stalls.

Mentioned in this post
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Animal Kingdom in the rain?

One week. 2 days planned for Disney.

4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Animal Kingdom in the rain?

Thanks for the links. I will keep checking them as the week passes.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
517 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Animal Kingdom in the rain?

2 days - okay now I see why you are so concerned! It hardly every rains all day like it does here in NH. You get mostly showers or thundershowers. Pick up ponchos at the Dollar Store or similar and be ready. Hopefully you'll be dry! Good luck!

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Animal Kingdom in the rain?

One plus is the crowds may be smaller - we went on a rainy day and just walked onto everything! The rain only lasted a couple of hours but we got loads done.

Also the animals on the safari seemed to prefer the rain and were actually more active/visible than when we went in the sunshine earlier in the week.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Animal Kingdom in the rain?

Agree with Iv565. We've been at AK during torrential rain and enjoyed every moment. The safari was one of the best we have experienced. Head to Rafiki's Planet Watch with the children. Plenty of indoor activities. Plus you have Lion King and Finding Nemo in indoor theaters. Kali in the rain is just redundant!

Grab your ponchos and enjoy!