We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines is the not worth flying. To many problems.

RI
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines is the not worth flying. To many problems.

I just got back from Las Vegas, the trip went well for the most part. We flew on Spirit Air. This was a nightmare on the way back from Vegas. On Mar. 11, 2005 we were to leave Las Vegas at 10:45pm, due to snow in Providence RI. the flight was delayed for 45 min. We got out of Las Vegas at 11:30pm, the flight was to connect in Detroit. When we arrived in Detroit, at 6:35am on Mar. 12, 2005. We were to land at 5:40am, by the time we landed at 6:30am and the jetway was set up it was 6:35am. We were told to go to gate C4 to get the Providence bound. When we arrived at the gate no gate agent was there. I then went back to the gate we, arrived at and the agent said someone should be at that gate. When I went back to the gate a woman came off of the jet way. I asked her for our boarding passes for Providence, she then told me the flight had already left. Our luggage made the flight but my wife and I were left at the gate. To then find out another couple also missed the flight, coming from Las Vegas. The gate agent said the next flight out would be 6:30am. the next day. I then told her that this was not right, and we needed to be placed on another airline on the next flight out. The agent contacted her supervisor, who informed us that the way the ticket was booked it looked like, the ticket was not a connection but was orignating from Detroit. She then sent us to a Woman at ticketing named Tammy who was very nice, gave us a food coupon for $14.00 and was able to get us out on a flight on Northwest at 9:45 am.

The story does not end here. We then went to Northwest by shuttle as it is not in the same building. When we got to Northwest we were all screened as selectes by airport security as we were booked last minute on a diffrent airline. When we got to Providence our baggage was locked in the Spirit baggage office. I then had to go to ticketing to find someone to open the door to get our luggage. When I got there the agent Lisa who was also very nice, helped to find the supervisor who had the key to the baggage office. They were going to make us wait until 1pm. This was until I told them about what happened in Detroit. I was told that this happenes all the time with Spirit. So I warn you don't fly Spirit Airlines, you get a low priced flight one free drink, no movie on a long flight. Also they seem to have trouble lining up the jetway in Detroit as when we flew into Detroit from Providence it took 15 min. to get the jetway lined up. I have taken many trips with other airlines but I will never fly in Spirit again.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Airlines is the not worth flying. To many problems.

I travel about 10 times a year and have never ever found Spirit Airlines pricing nor schedule to be competitive. I'm not even sure how they stay in business being so uncompetitive and I knew of no one that flies with them.