We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The drive from Orlando to Miami, FL

Michigan
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
The drive from Orlando to Miami, FL

We are taking the Amtrak train to Sanford, (Orlando)FL and then driving to Miami. Can anyone tell me how the drive is from Orlando to Miami? Is it a straignt drive, how scenic the drive is, etc.?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The drive from Orlando to Miami, FL

It all depends on which route you take. The fastest and easiest way is to take 417 tollway from the airport to the Florida Turnpike, and take that straight to the Miami area. Expect the drive to be at least 4 hours, and the tolls to come to about $20; and don't expect to see much along the way, until you get close to MIami. You can also take the 528 Beachline to I-95 and take that down; the distance is about the same, but you'll have more traffic, but you'll see a little more, and save some toll money. The most scenic route is to take the Beachline as far as you can go, and then go A1A, which often runs by the beach. But you're driving time would be maybe 6 hours or more. There are also some inner scenic routes away from the beach (US 441, US 27, etc. to Palm Beach).

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,393 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The drive from Orlando to Miami, FL

Eddie is right, the turnpike will be the fastest direct route but very little scenery. Depending on how much time you want to take you can go to the east coast and drive along A1A which is next to the beach. You should either take the b-line from Orlando airport east all the way to A1A. Take A1A to Vero Beach or Ft. Pierce. You will have to go back west at this point as there is no causeway over Ft. Pierce inlet. Then go back to the turnpike.

Or take the turnpike down to about Ft. Lauderdale & go over to A1A there. You can go all the way to Miami Beach from there.

Personally I like the 1st route as I think you will see more of the coastline than condo's than you will further south. Vero Beach has some good restaurants on the beach. There is no turnpke entrance at Vero. You would have to get on I-95 then catch the turnpike further south.

Keep in mind A1A travels throught small towns, watch your speed. You will also have lots of traffic lights.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The drive from Orlando to Miami, FL

If you want to get to Miami quickly and easy take the Florida Turnpike 230 miles. Or change to 95 at Fort Peirce

A1A along the coast is mile upon of traffic lights and junctions.

The coast is littered from end to end with Condos, hotels, and gated comunities. There is very little access to the beach considering the length of road along it, Miles of it are blocked off by the above dovelopments.

And it may take you the best part of a day to drive

London
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The drive from Orlando to Miami, FL

take the turnpike -no messing. who wants scenery when you just need to get from A to B. we did it this easter, just took drinks and eats and didn't stop.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The drive from Orlando to Miami, FL

I would opt for the route Eddie refers to in passing. And I would take the turnpike to Yeehaw Junction, then the 441/27 all the way into Miami, going east around Lake Ochechobee. Quite a fast road but much more interesting than the turnpike the whole way. Personally, I wouldn't even think about the A1A unless you are a fan of traffic signals.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The drive from Orlando to Miami, FL

Alternitivly you could just take the 27 just a few miles west of the parks area on I4 iots not a bad drive through Hines City Lake wales Sebring. 27 all the way etc Certainly better than A1A

7. Re: The drive from Orlando to Miami, FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 23, 2009