We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

hinckley
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

Hi everyone.

We have our car hire booked for our trip in July but it's been mentioned to me today that the UK paper part of a driving licence is being phased out as of June 8th this year and you need to obtain a code from the DVLA before you pick up your hire car at the airport or you could be refused to drive! Is this right....or is it just scare mongering again and we will be perfectly fine sticking with our card & paper licences? We've booked with Alamo to pick up at Sanford. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

Hi

if you look on page 4 of this forum - international driving licence required

there is a link to the dvla and some answers from people, we are going at the beginning of July from Gatwick, and i have decided to call the dvla on the thursday before we go,(as it only last three days) but i am also going to take the paper counterpart just in case.

hinckley
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

Thanks Dave, have done a bit of digging and think we will be doing the same as you.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
24,244 posts
2,498 reviews
2,367 helpful votes
3. Re: Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

I understand that from 8 June 2015, you should visit the DVLA website the day before you leave, and input your licence and National Insurance numbers to receive a unique one-time passcode (valid for 72 hours only).

https:/…driving-licence-changes

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

Can you do this while you are in Florida ? We are spending a week in a Disney hotel ( no car ) then hiring a car after that for the following 2 weeks . I couldn't get a code before I leave if it's only valid 72hours . I hadn't even thought about this !

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
20,028 posts
61 reviews
77 helpful votes
5. Re: Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

Pamster, if you have your NI number with you as well as your driving license then you will be able to do it online. The DVLC won't know you are in Florida!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

you have to be able to do this or you cannot get the code Pamster. Yes you will be able to get it. Now the thing is given how few in the UK know this, some rental agent 4000 miles away is going to struggle. So I would have the paper and the code with you. Now in so many years I have never been asked for the paper counterpart but always have it.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
24,244 posts
2,498 reviews
2,367 helpful votes
7. Re: Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

You will be able to get the code from abroad. I read somewhere about people unhappy that if the flight gets delayed they would have to find internet access to get another pass code.

I would not shred that paper part just yet though!

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

Ok thanks for your responses . We haven't hired a car in the US for a lot of years but have done so in Europe regularly and never needed the paper ( we always take it however ) . Will make sure we have NI number and paper with us . Really glad I read this post as I was a bit oblivious to the consequences of the change and we go in July !

newtonhill scotland
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
28 reviews
39 helpful votes
9. Re: Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

Hi have done a lot of research on this over the past week .. this is from the experts

FloridaCarHire.com - Florida's Driving Force

29 April at 17:02 ·

***IMPORTANT LICENCE UPDATE***

From 8th June 2015 the paper counterpart of the UK driving licence is being abolished and replaced with an online service. There have been concerns over how this will affect UK customers who are renting with us and if they are required to provide the information currently listed on their counterpart driving licence via the new online service.

Please note that our supplier in Florida will not be requiring renters to show their counterpart information or provide a code to access the information online. As per our current Terms & Conditions we only require a full valid license from the renter’s country of origin.

As from the 8th June 2015, the paper counterpart will no longer be part of a full UK licence we do not require anything further from customers other than to present their valid photo card (or paper, if applicable) licence. so no code required

hinckley
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Car hire - changes to UK paper licence

Thank you granddad51. Here's hoping that the other rental companies are having the same guidelines. Personally, we've used Alamo each time we've visited the US and have done for this forthcoming trip in July too, never had any problems. 😃