We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
421 posts
6 reviews
Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

Hi

Just a quick one please:

When I requested my current ESTA I was only stopping in USA for onward travel to Canada. This trip I will solely be in Florida. I have read the ESTA thread and the info on Gov website but it only says the following (below) which would suggest I need to apply for another as its not just the address that needs changing but the fact that I'm not in transit. Thoughts please?

If necessary, you can update the following information on an approved authorization: address while in the United States and e-mail address. To access your travel authorization, you will be required to provide your application number, passport number, and birth date. If you need to change any other information on the form, you must apply for a new travel authorization.

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
516 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
200 Reviews
from $148.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: Icon Orlando...
22 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
31 replies to this topic
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
19,352 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

Hi, you do not need to update any information on your ESTA once it has been authorised. It is not necessary. The new style ESTA that recently came into use doesn't even have anywhere on it to put your USA address. That information is collected in your API (Advance Passenger Information) that you give to the airline before you fly. You only need another ESTA if you get a new passport during the two years it is valid for.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,383 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

You don't need to update anything and your ESTA will still be valid (assuming that it's within its own validity period, of course). You can, if you choose to, update certain variables and so doing may save a little time at immigration. An ESTA does not record whether you are in transit or staying.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
19,352 posts
61 reviews
3. Re: Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

Hi again Heath.....you really do not have to change anything on your ESTA. You are good to go!!!!

3 posts
1 review
4. Re: Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

Hi,

Were you able to travel without problem? I checked transit, but will stay 2 days in San Francisco.

Thanks in advance for your reply

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

Hi my in laws got there ESTA as had to change plane in Chicago on way to Cancun last year and have just been to San Francisco for a week in January this year. They didn't update anything and had no problems getting in san francisco.

London
Level Contributor
532 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

We decided to update our accommodation address on our ESTA "just to be safe", and it was really easy. So if you wanted to do it, rather than worry, it's very quick to do online

Edited: 11:53 am, February 15, 2016
1 post
7. Re: Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

Hi how do you make the change? Before i needed the esta to transit now i will be going to san Fran.. How do i change it from transit to stay?

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
19,352 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

Choccie, there was no need at all to update that information! Your address in the USA is collected in the API you provide for the airline and sent to the USA before the plane leaves the UK. Just to let you know in case you go back again on the same ESTA.

London
Level Contributor
532 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

I know it didn't necessarily have to be done, I was just saying it was very easy to do if someone wanted to. Didn't do any harm. Gave me a chance to double check my ESTA expiry date too.

Toulon, France
2 posts
10. Re: Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop

Hi

My esta is for transit and now I have to go to chicago

Can I change it ?

Reply to: Esta - update as previous trip was only an in transit stop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted