We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to IowaninUK

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,785 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
to IowaninUK

I have been reading your tiping postings and...I tip my hat to you!someone taught you excellent manners and a great sense of humor on this subject!

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
471 reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
187 reviews
from $128.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
14 reviews
from $49.99*
$87.87
Kennedy Space Center Ultimate...
77 reviews
from $168.99*
Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to IowaninUK

Yes I agree about the manners and the sense of humour. Just don't agree with the self satisfaction behind a lot of that tosh.

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to IowaninUK

Vegas, you do crack me up,

At least there isone person who i agree with here on this whole tipping thing, even if we are thought of as being tight fisted.

Tipping debates are so funny and make a divide as wide as the Atlantic,

Did anyone watch th Ryder Cup, I thought Tiger woods came across as a great sportsman even

Mick

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to IowaninUK

One good tip for Tiger Woods don't drop your 9 iron in the Liffey !!!

He was a great sportsman in defeat - not something I associate with American players of any sport but they were a credit to their country.

Perhaps they had a day or two to get ready for that reaction though.

I struggled to get a decent game in Florida over the Summer - there must be someone over there who can play ( smirk ).

Sorry I can remember when we never won the Ryder Cup so it is just great to enjoy the moment

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to IowaninUK

Why can't we just agree to diagree. There are wide differences in our cultures and the catering industry is structured in a different way in Florida to almost anywhere.

A little vd007 tip test for all brits in Florida, which one do you think I would pick and which one would iowankuk would pick?

a) You should be prepared to give 15% if you feel you have been well served and waited on.

b) Perhaps if you are not so pleased a 10% tip will suffice.

C) If you are even less happy don't bother with the 5% - just leg it and don't go back.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: to IowaninUK

I've never been a waiter and would never care to be but we eat out a LOT and most deserve every cent they're tipped and more. We've seen way too often a table full of people leave a dollar or two. I'm the one that's tempted to chase them into the parking lot yelling at them. There's just way too many rude people out there (and not just at Disney!!!!!). :) If you can't afford the tip, stay home. And now knowing that it's 15% they need to pay taxes on...

End of rant. I feel much better now.

You can shut this one down now TA.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: to IowaninUK

I guess I'm not done! Hadn't read vegas' post yet. "Well served and waited on"? Ooh.

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: to IowaninUK

What is all this bullying - if you cannot afford the tip - stay home.

Just look at what you have written - that simply cannot be right.

I can afford to tip if I can afford the meal. However, I will decide if the service warrants a tip of any size. Custom and practice is a powerful pressure but I am afraid it does not work on me - where ever I am in the world. It is service and attetntion to detail that I reward and not false bonhomie. I know what I want and all joking aside I will reward when it is due as I did in America last month.

I suggest that all who read this thread should take care not to fall into this trap of giving for the sake of giving because the waiters are paid so little. The added argument over the tax position is nonsense. The good waiters do very well and the bad ones dont do bad either. I took extra special care in the summer to watch what happened because I had an inkling that we may return to this very subject. You have only to look at the turnover in a place like Chilis. I reckon they are getting at the very least $60 an hour in tips if they are only on 10% - pretty good by UK standards.

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: to IowaninUK

Here we go again,

If I am not prepared to leave a tip a should stay at home, ha ha ha.

I shall tip on how good the service is and if it is poor then no tip.

Most of the service i get tends to be excellant and so they get a decent tip.

The 2 times i got poor service they got nothing. Why should I tip someone who doesnt bother to do their job etc etc etc

NO WAY MAN !!!!!!!!!1

Mick

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: to IowaninUK

I live by your standards and customs here. I wouldn't dream of speaking negatively about any of them although I could. Maybe it is manners.

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: to IowaninUK

I really do not think it is good manners to say to a visitor 'if you do not comply with my personal whim you should visit again'.

With regards to 'tipping' this has been said many times on this thread and it suggests of xenophobia. If you don't like everything about us - stay away.

If that is American good manners I do not recognise it from my visits to the States - perhaps it is just in Iowa.

The people I meet are gregarious, friendly, generous and most of all appreciative of good service in restaurants. They do not tip bad service either and this is really what I base my argument on.

I believe that i am well mannered in most situations.

Good manners does not mean being the soft touch.