We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

Florida
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

Hi. I am leaving Orlando tomorrow coming from the Rosen Shingle Creek for the north tampa area and I hate I 4. Any alternative routes without going on I4? If I need to go on I4 what times are the best traveling times? Thanks

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Special Offer
Icon Orlando, Madame Tussauds, and...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

If you hate I-4, trying to get there any other way will really set you off.

Go before or after rush hour.

from North Tampa you could drive north to SR50 and make your way through the backwoods, or a bit further to Bushnell and take the Turnpike (adding tolls) but you'll nearly double your travel time, which will do nothing to reduce stress.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,602 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

I-4 isn't that bad west of Disney and east of I-75 unless there is some freak accident. It is simple, avoid rush hour and Friday night traffic.

I-275 in Tampa is MUCH worse than I-4 between Disney and Tampa.

There is always US 27 to SR 60 if you really like traffic lights.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,944 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

I would try and get over not liking the I4 otherwise you wil be driving forever

I find I it an easy drive along the I4 certainly after 4hrs on the M6 on Saturday and Sunday its a breeze

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

I opened this because after reading the title I thought to myself 'why the h@!! would you do that'. Like it or not it's easy and fast. Don't rush in the morning, leave after you check out, set your cruise control, and go.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
317 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

Honestly, while there are plenty routes to Tampa that avoid I-4, there aren't any I'd recommend because of the length of time they'd take. I4 is the best bet.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

While there are many people who recommend other routes, I think the stress of driving round uncharted waters so to speak , would be more than just a bit of planning, as stated, the area around Tampa is a bit congested , but no more than our motorways, so relax and plan it around rush hr

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

I agree. It would take for ever, and drive you more crazy than I4. Just leave early, and not be in a hurry, and just take your time. That is the least stressful way.

Florida
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just leave a little early and not be a woose.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,393 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

SR 92 is an alternarte route that goes down that way. If you absolutely didn't want to take I-4, that would probably be the way to go. I took it about 30 years ago and it was a very nice drive, but I expect it has far more traffic lights and traffic now.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando to tampa avoiding I4

Hwy 92 would be stop and go until well after Lakeland these days, as it's become heavily built up that entire distance. You'd give up and go home because after 2 hours you still wouldn't be past Lakeland.