We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

Erie, PA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

We are taking our son to Orlando later this week and I'm not sure if I need his birth certificate or something like that. The airline website makes no mention of it. I knew someone on here would probably know for sure.

Thanks,

Amanda

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Bonnie Scotland...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

doe,s he have a passport?or is he on your passport?if he has a passport or is on your,s that would be adaquate for flying.

R R

birmingham
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

not sure if any child can be added to a parents passport; that used to be so but the law changd recently following a spate of spousal kidnapping after divorce etc. now a child has to have their own passport after a certain age, but i m pretty sure jour 4 yrs old is past that date; see if immigration affice has anything on their website

birmingham
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

just noticed ur flying later this week; oops, lets hope u have nt left it too late and i m wrong; hope everthing goes ok

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

Amanda -

If you and your son's father are travelling together, there would be no problem, especially as it's a domestic flight, as long as you have his birth certificate. However, it would be a good idea for your son to have a passport. Do not put him on an adult's passport. Although, now that I think of it, I'm not sure that's permitted in the US any longer.

You probably don't even need his birth certificate, but if there's an Amber Alert for a boy his age, you might be glad you have it.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

I you are flying into the USA from Irland your son whatever the age will have to have his/her Own Passport

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

I assume you are in PA, the USA so he would not need a passport to move in your own country. They have never asked for ID for my kids until they were older teens, but I always brought one or a copy just in case. Since there isnt a picture, I guess that is why they dont bother.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Erie, PA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

Thanks for all the replies. I should've mentioned we are flying inside the US...Pennsylvania to Orlando. I'll try to round up a copy of his birth certificate just in case...better safe than sorry :)

Amanda

Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,367 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

My son (7)has never needed identification for any domestic flight - if they are traveling with parent(s), it's not needed.

Birth certificates are not photo IDs, so won't work for travel identification, anyway.

Incidentally, we had to have a passport to take our son with us to Ireland when he was 18mos old -- *all* citizens departing the US must have their own passport, regardless of age. (We had to prop him up on an upturned wastebasket sitting on a stool at Kinkos to get him into the picture...with Mom crouched on the floor out of photo range to keep him from falling over!)

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

We fly with our daughter who is now 11, every year and have never needed any type of identification. (travel within the us). The only time you would need a birth certificate (traveling withing the US only) is to prove your child is under 2 years of age. Two years and younger, they can sit on your lap and you don't need to buy a ticket for them. That is probably where you might have heard of a birth certificate needed for proof of age.

Fayetteville, AR
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need any documents for my 4 year old to fly on a plane?

We have been flying with our daughter (now 7) since she was 3, and she has never needed any form of identification on domestic flights.