We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I detest Christmas!

Westport Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
I detest Christmas!

The topic says it all.

This year the boss and myself have the chance to escape for a couple of days. We are flying to Orlando, and will stay in Kissimmee. We have been many many times before, but never over Christmas.

Our idea of heaven is a round of golf on Christmas morning, followed later in the day by hot wings and a couple of pitchers of beer.

Is this possible. Do golf courses, restaurants, bars etc. open on Christmas day. The answer here is no to all three. One of the reasons that I detest Christmas.

Any first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to all

London, England
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: I detest Christmas!

Hi Suewick, good girl, you know your mum always knows best!

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I detest Christmas!

May be its time to sign up with John Howard (Aus) rather than Bush. Seems like he has told the "Festival Lights" anti Christmas people this week what to do. He is also going to do it for some of them.

Anybody want a copy i will e- mail them one

London, England
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: I detest Christmas!

XR send it to me at girlgoonerfan@yahoo.co.uk

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: I detest Christmas!

If your object is to escape Christmas "spirit", I'm afraid that coming to Orlando/Disney would be like going from the frying pan into the fire. If Disney golf courses are open on December 25, I find it hard to imagine that there won't be something on the golf courses to remind you that it's Christmas; maybe red and green flags on the pins? Or wreaths and bells on the cart? Or maybe complementary balls with Mickey as Santa? Or rangers and starters dressed as Santa? Or Santa Mickey as the starter? Who knows? And this is in addition to all the other holiday stuff you will see everywhere. If you go to a restaurant, you know they will have themed Christmas dinners or specials that they'll tell you about, even and especially at places like Golden Corral.

Of course, if a big part of it is about businesses being closed, you'll do better here.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: I detest Christmas!

Admittedly, other golf courses outside of Disney may be less likely to have holiday stuff going on.

Westport Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: I detest Christmas!

Thank you to everybody.

Yes I do realise that it doesn't pass without mention in Florida. My main reason for getting away is the weather here, and the fact that everything is totally shut down.

In reply to the remarks made by XR759.

I was an ambulance driver in London for 28 years, so I think I've done my share.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: I detest Christmas!

I never travel to any vacation destination over Christmas as I hate crowds, and I'm no golfer, but I will warn you plan ahead for Christmas day. While many places are open, many are not. Reserve a tee time in advance and realize even bars will be busy that day - probably more so. Some sites to help with planning tee times

teetimesusa.com/docs/…

www.floridagolfing.com/city_page.cfm?CID=1

www.2000orlando-florida.com/golf.htm

I wish I could find the service that I did for some folks going to the Cape Coral area. It was a great booking place. Hope these are some help to you.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: I detest Christmas!

While I had to work on most of my Christmas periods (30 years) I accept that this was my choice. I did get paid for my duty but I can tell you this does not compensate you for the time you miss with a young family.

My beef was about a minority of individuals who give the impression that they have a god given right to be able to receive services that 24 /7, 52 weeks a year that essential services provide. Then when our time comes to play catch up and spend quality time with our wives and children who miss out on Christmas and other public holidays, they want to call the tune to that as well. Sadly some school teachers are the most veracious. As far as I was concerned this one provocation to far, and they certainly got the message.

I personally try not to use any services shops, restaurants, places of entertainment in these periods and hope that any I do have to use the people who are working are doing so by choice and not being forced to.

St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: I detest Christmas!

This is the Disney booking website for golf. They do cater to WDW guests first so not even sure that you could get a tee time on one of their courses.

…go.com/wdw/…

20. Re: I detest Christmas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 17, 2009