We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animal Kingdom scheduleing

mgr
Atlanta,Ga
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Animal Kingdom scheduleing

I'll be going to AK on 9/3/14. That day there is an EMH at 8 and will take advantage of it. It seems this Park has the least amount of attractions of them all. I've scheduled Character lunch at Tuskers for 12:50 and was hoping we would be finished with what there was to do there by that time and hop to another park. Does this plan seem reasonable. I will be with my 4 and 6 year olds.

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: Icon Orlando...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,584 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Animal Kingdom scheduleing

Well, 12:50 PM would be plenty of time for me to see as much of AK as I wanted, but I'm a seasoned visitor and don't have children. We don't even visit the Dinoland area at that park as there's nothing we do there, and we don't normally see the Finding Nemo show either.

If you plan to visit all "lands" of the park, do most of the attractions and walking trails, and see most or all of the shows, you might be slightly pushed for more time after your lunch. This will be especially true if you allow your children "play time" in either Dinoland or over at the Conservation Station area.

My sister's family who have young children usually wind up spending most of a day at AK because the kids want to play around in the play areas and such.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Animal Kingdom scheduleing

We honestly spend all day at Animal Kingdom(usually 9-5) because we like to do the walking trails to see all the animals, meet the characters, see all the shows(especially Nemo), and we do most of the rides as well.

mgr
Atlanta,Ga
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Animal Kingdom scheduleing

Thanks for the replies. My son(6) is legally blind so will most likely not look for animals on the trails or do the shows do to the fact that unless we are right up front or the animals are very close he is not interested and will probably avoid play areas until we've seen all the attractions. May look at these after the other attractions time permitting. We arrive 8/31 lunch time and leave after parks close 9/6. I don't think we'll be pressed for time with 6 1/2 days but having to make character ADR (on meal plan) in advance and plan everything around them is crazy difficult for me. Worked on almost all of Disney's commercials in the late 80's to late 90's and know the parks inside out with the exception of AK. Shot 2 days of Dumbo drop there in the Safari and spent no time in the park. First time to actually have to pay and plan.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Animal Kingdom scheduleing

Your son, more than most, will love Animal Kingdom. Please don't shorten the visit. Take the train (a fun experience in itself) to Rafiki's Planet Watch. He can and will get right up to many animals. Great hands-on interactions and unusual character experiences. There is a wonderful sound-only attraction of the rain forest.

Finding Nemo the Musical and Lion King both have front row reserved seating for disabilities. The exploration trails are prefect for getting up-close. The Boneyard is a wonderful interactive play area, for all children. Our daughter is also "legally blind" and AK is one of her favorite parks.

Be sure to secure a "Wilderness Explorer's" (kid from "Up") handbook and go to a few of the areas, so your son can earn badges.

Take your time to truly explore this amazing park. You'll be so glad you did!

mgr
Atlanta,Ga
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Animal Kingdom scheduleing

Travelfan, Thanks for the reply. I've been out of town with no access to net, sorry for the late response. The parents of a child that goes to the Center for the Visually Impaired with my son reported that they told Guest services @ their son's condition upon arrival to Disney. Disney accommodated them by making sure their party was in the front of all attractions. Did you experience anything like this? Will definitely make sure we leave nothing out and get the handbook.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Animal Kingdom scheduleing

Yes, we make sure to arrive early to all shows (with Fast Passes booked) in order to be seated in the front. Go to Guest Relations in any Disney park and request a "guest assistance card", on your first park day. They will help with the appropriate accommodations.

At Nemo ask for front row seating. You will be a little too close due to the seating arrangement, however your son will LOVE every minute of it. The middle level disabilities seating is a little too far back. All Lion King disabilities seating has a great view.

We used Fast Passes for parade viewing. Fabulous views!

Have a magical holiday!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,584 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Animal Kingdom scheduleing

Here are a couple of articles on allears.net you may find helpful. Be sure to read the new guidelines about Guest Assistance and the "front of the line" changes that had to take place recently because of the abuse of the system by those who really weren't impaired.

http://allears.net/pl/special.htm

http://allears.net/pl/visual.htm

mgr
Atlanta,Ga
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Animal Kingdom scheduleing

Thanks Travelfan and Cat. I'm going to call and inquire @ this in advance.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Animal Kingdom scheduleing

mgr: I advise against calling. You will not be speaking with someone in the parks and although the call centers mean well, they often give inaccurate information. Just go to Guest Services in your first park and explain your needs. They will take the appropriate steps.

Enjoy!

mgr
Atlanta,Ga
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Animal Kingdom scheduleing

After reading the links Kat forwarded I gathered calling would not be any help. Will go directly to guest services after check in. Thanks for all the info. My mother who is going is disabled as well and can't take standing for long periods. This may help her as well. 31 days and finishing Fp's.