We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
49 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

We will be on IDrive for 12 days, Is downtown Orlando worth a trip?

Is there much to do? What is there to see? How much is it in a taxi if we were to stay there for the evening?

Is it accessible from IDrive? Is there a 'hop on hop off' pass to visit here or even good day tours to the beach worth a trip from IDrive?

Sorry for all the questions - I really want to make the very most of our trip!! :-)

Va
Level Contributor
11,131 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

Not much going on downtown except homeless and urban blight. There is some night life, but not really worth going there for.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,696 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

There is not a lot of interest to tourists there. One exception might be to take a ride on one of the swan boats on Lake Eola. http://tinyurl.com/lnh48cl

To be honest, a day trip to Winter Park might be more interesting. You should be able to get there via SunRail from the Sand Lake Road station. http://www.sunrail.com/default.aspx Since this is a commuter rail and very new, be aware that it doesn't yet run on weekends, although this could change if ridership increases.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

It's not easily accessible from I-Drive at all. It's great for nightlife or Sunday brunch or attending a game/concert at the Amway Center but other than that there is really no reason to hire a taxi to come all the way over here; a taxi will be $30+ each way depending on where you are staying.

I live in downtown and love it but it's not set up for tourists. We have great Happy Hours during the evenings for when the professional working crowd gets off work and a busy club scene after 10pm for people in their 20s and 30s.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

If you want to have a look over at Downtown Orlando I would recommend doing a tour. We booked the Orlando city tour with Gospel Brunch through Travel Republic. You can do it with/without the Gospel Brunch.

You meet at a pick up point and go visit Downtown Orlando (not much to see so fairly brief visit), then you go to Winter Park and take the scenic boat tour (included in price and very good), then you have some free time in Winter Park before being picked up and taken to Downtown Disney where you either have the Gospel Brunch or you go explore. Later on in the afternoon you are taken over to Celebration where you have a bit of time to look around. Our guide also took us to Gaylord Palms hotel for a look around. You are then dropped off where you were picked up.

I always drive when we are in Florida so it was nice to let someone else do it for me for a change.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

I'm with the others here - there isn't much point going downtown. I will disagree about accessibility; there are direct buses from Int. Drive to the LYNX station Downtown so it is pretty easy. Some routes operate via the Interstate and one route operates via some neighbourhoods which some consider unsavoury. That said, I have never seen any evidence of any incident arising concerning buses or their riders and I never felt uncomfortable. Once DownTown there is a free network of city buses you can ride around on (LYMMO).

But, for a different experience I, too, would suggest you head for Winter Park. That is similarly easily reached by LYNX bus. Depending on exactly where on Int. Drive, you can catch LYNX bus 50 or 38 (both of these via I4) or 8 (local service) to DownTown and transfer there to 102 to Winter Park. There is also a train service you can catch from a point some way along Sand Lake Rd (get there by other buses) but at present the service frequency is very limited outside peak hours so I'd stick to LYNX throughout.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,981 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

That's a good idea DB

In our first visit in 1993 we did a similar thing through Thomsons ony it was with a meal at Ming Court, a tour of Orlando finishing up with a few hours at church st station area which was brilliant in the good old days lol

Is it still there I wonder?

I didn't do any driving in those days so it was good for my husband to see a few sights instead of stuck behind the wheel

Edited: 4:04 am, July 13, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

Unfortunately Ming Court and Church Street Station no longer exist. There are some bars and restaurants on Church Street now as they are trying to revitalize the area but it is nothing like it was when it was the Station.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

I wouldn't go there unless you have to, we had to go to the British embassy there as I accidentally washed hubby's passport. We had to get a bus to and from the station there and it was a bit scary, some guy kept touching my hair behind me and a tramp got on who looked like he should be in hospital, two people asked us for money. It just looked like an everyday town with some bad areas and people.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

Main terminal bus stations are usually pretty sketchy. You have to get away from there and check out the real downtown which is Lake Eola and Thornton Park. Much nicer and cleaner than a bus station which unfortunately serves the poorest people living in the area.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,981 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Downtown Orlando worth a visit?

Seebeech I remember a bar that had can can girls dancing on the bar counter my husband was most impressed lol

Also there was live music in the streets - the area was buzzing - what a shame it closed down