We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snakes at Universal

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
snakes at Universal

My son and daughter and families just returned from a vacation at Universal, staying at Loews Royal Pacific. My son saw a small snake one night on the path back to the hotel. He might not have noticed it if another couple hadn't paused in front of him. Then my daughter and kids saw a very large snake leaving the path and heading towards the water. Is anything being done to eradicate snakes from the area? There are snake repellants that are non-toxic. I love staying at the Royal Pacific, but after their seeing snakes there, I doubt I'll go back. What keeps them out of the park itself without all the connecting waterways?

Please don't reply that they are harmless or are beneficial. I, like many, am EXTREMELY phobic when it comes to snakes, poisonous or not.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snakes at Universal

"Please don't reply that they are harmless or are beneficial. I, like many, am EXTREMELY phobic when it comes to snakes, poisonous or not."

Then you will have to tolerate or co-exist with them. After all, they were here before us. This isn't New York City.

And yes, most are harmless and beneficial.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
879 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snakes at Universal

Poor snakeys. They have a right to vacation at Universal like the rest of us!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snakes at Universal

Snakes arent "poisonous", some may be venomous. I doubt there is a program in place to remove or control them, they're are much of an issue. It wouldnt be worth the expense.

Edited: 11:29 am, June 08, 2014
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snakes at Universal

I thought it was a new ride! Damn

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
9,785 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snakes at Universal

As long as they don't get on the plane;-);-)

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snakes at Universal

Unfortunately, you'd probably have to skip visiting the entire state of Floridia (and some other states as well), not just Royal Pacific if you're afraid of seeing a snake or two. I'm not a fan of snakes, but I love my house (and my state). I just avoid snakes when I see them.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snakes at Universal

I don't know what they have around Orlando. Pythons have invaded the Everglades beginning in the early 90s and they're not having much luck getting rid of them:

washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/b…

They are also capable of living farther north.

I have the same phobia and I understand. I certainly would not make fun of someone who was afraid of heights or spiders. There was a guy on the Oahu forum who had a fear of wild chickens. I'm not kidding. They ripped the poor guy to shreds- the other posters, not the chickens.

Edited: 12:17 pm, June 08, 2014
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snakes at Universal

When I was lounging in one of the chairs by the pool at the RPR a small Black Racer Snake came out of the undergrowth and was very aggressive. It tried to bite my foot and went for my wife as well.

We did report it but was told it was harmless and they were lots of them about - however this was a baby snake and had a lot of markings on it which we took to mean it was venomous but it was not and these fade as they grow up until they are all black.

Gave us a fright though

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snakes at Universal

Snakes are going to be found about anyplace you have grass, trees and other foliage.

We've had snakes in our yard in town in Indiana.

We've heard of people with snakes in their yards in south Orlando.

Just watch where you are stepping and try to not think about snakes.

We've been to Florida probably fifteen or so times, always driving. We were surprised about five years ago to notice a sign at the first rest stop inside the Florida state line, mentioning watching for venomous snakes. Guess we hadn't stopped at a rest stop in Florida before.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
879 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snakes at Universal

3174 I'm terrified of spiders but I don't demand that they are exterminated from anywhere I am considering going on holiday! So its a little hard to take the OP seriously.