We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

Edinburgh, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

I am looing to book the above for June next year. Which part of Disney Port Orleans is best? My son will be 4 so wanting to picked the best hotel for him.

I did also like Disney caribbean Beach Resort... Mainly for the pirate pool.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Emma

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

We stayed at POFQ last year, so glad we did, Riverside looked lovely, but was very large in comparison to French Quarter.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

We've stayed at both and much prefer the French Quarter. Much smaller resort so easy for little legs to navigate. Just a nicer atmosphere all round, IMO. POR has it's fans too who will no doubt tell you why you should stay there lol you really can't go wrong at either.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,621 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

POR for the dining options and the pool on Ol' Man's Island.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

We (myself, husband and then 9 year old son) stayed at POFQ last year - it was our first time at Disney so can't compare to any other place, however, we did go over to POR for dinner at Boatwrights and thought it looked very nice but was just too big for our taste. We were pretty tired from all the walking at the Disney parks so was glad to not have to walk too far to get to the POFQ pool, restaurant and to the bus stop.

Edinburgh, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

Thanks everyone. I think my little boy would prefer not to walk too much so with everything being closer at POFQ might be best for us.

The pool at POFQ is it the one with the Dragon slide, is there more slides?

Thanks

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

I agree, French Quarter, smaller resort, great pool with the Dragon Slide (just the one slide, but all the pools only have one slide), better bus service. They are sister resorts so you can go over and use the pools, etc. at Riverside also :)

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

I also prefer POFQ. It's a great resort and a short walk to PORS. If you do choose the FQ, be sure to take the short 10 minute walk over to RS one night to see Bob preform. He's hysterical and a great way to end your night. (kid friendly of course!)

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

We prefer POFQ. Great theming,wonderful Dragon pool,boat to DTD,updated rooms and a great staff. And the smaller size is wonderful when you want to go to the pool or the bus or your building-no need to walk 20 minutes to your room

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

I would pick based on size and decor. They are sister resorts so you can use all of the facilities of each.

They are both great hotels, but I prefer POFQ myself. If your son is a nature lover, he might prefer to be ensconced in the bayou over the streets of New Orleans. You could always pay more for a preferred location room to reduce the walking. You really can't go wrong at either hotel.

Here is some more info on both hotels:

http://www.portorleans.org/

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?!

If the size of Riverside is a reason not to choose it (to save on walking), then don't plan on walking between the resorts to share the facilities. THAT is not a short walk.

Some things Riverside has that French Quarter doesn't are water craft and bike rentals and horse drawn carriage rides. They also have quiet pools if you want to escape the noisy kids games at the pool...we really enjoyed the quiet pool. Riverside has beautiful landscaping with the bridge and the giant water wheel.

Our room at Riverside was very quiet and the beds very comfy. I never stayed at FQ, but we did walk there one morning for the beignets