We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theme Park Child Watcher

Palo Alto California
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Theme Park Child Watcher

We are taking our two grandchildren aged 11 and 13 to Disney World. On some days I will be taking them alone. The eldest is very keen to go on the scariest and wildest of rides during which I intend to accompany her, but only if I can find someone to stay with the 11 year old (who is not so keen) during the ride. How do I locate a guide or responsible person to stay with my youngest granddaughter while I enjoy a wild ride with my eldest granddaughter? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,654 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theme Park Child Watcher

Which rides are we talking, roller coaster types??

I'd just have her go through the line with you and then when you get to the front, tell a cast member there she doesn't want to ride and normally they'd get her to the exit so she is there when you finish. You won't be gone and long and she'll be inside the exit area with cast members around.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,216 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Theme Park Child Watcher

There is no service for this. But also not any "wild rides" at Disney World. I'm not sure what attractions an 11 year old wouldn't want to do. Has she mentioned any specific that make her nervous?

The option would be to wait in line together but duck out at the end as above. But all parents or in this case grandparents will have a different comfort level with leaving kids alone. To enter the park entirely alone they must be 14. To ride an attraction alone they must be 7. So waiting together and letting the older child ride alone while the two of you go to the exit together is also an option

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,091 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theme Park Child Watcher

You can hire someone to go to the parks with you-like Fairy Godmothers and the hotel will have other services-but there is no guide or employee to watch a child while adults go on rides.Depends on your comfort level as far as leaving her alone-but you can,as the above poster suggested,go though the line together and then exit with the younger one before you ride.

Palo Alto California
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theme Park Child Watcher

Thank you all for your responses. Does anyone know whether it is the same at Universal Studios?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,983 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theme Park Child Watcher

All rides at theme parks have a 'baby swap'

I realise your GCs aren't babies, but you are a bit baby in that you are worried one waits while you ride. So you leave the one who doesn't want to ride at the exit while you board and have fun,. And in a few minutes you will be there with them. No reason to hire anyone. I'd be more worried as a single parent leaving a baby than someone leaving an 11 yr =old who doesn't have to be held

Edited: 6:18 pm, May 17, 2014
Palo Alto California
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theme Park Child Watcher

No need to be rude! I am the one responsible for my grandchildren!

As you may have gathered I have never been to WDW so I do not know what to expect. I am not "a bit baby" asking a responsible question. Once we are there I may feel differently especially if I am satisfied that it is a safe environment. I am trying to do some planning before we go.

Asking about "wild rides" seemed to confuse people as well, since I didn't know there weren't any wild rides at Disney. It was Universal Studios I was thinking of.

It appears from reviews that some people practically live at Disney World (poor things) and they know their way around like a second home. Not the case here, but I never expected to be harshly judged for showing genuine concern.

Perhaps I asked my question in the wrong forum! Or perhaps all Disney fans are rude like you!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
820 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theme Park Child Watcher

I think this was quite a good question and I can imagine families are in this predicament from time to time. Not every family are the typical mum dad and 3 kids. Sometimes single mums and grandparents can take their kids. So not everyone is going to want to ride every ride.

Personally I would do as the others have suggested and have her line up with you but then tell a cast member that she doesn't want to ride.

Yes there a few wild rides at disney, such as rock and roller coaster, tower of terror and expedition everest.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theme Park Child Watcher

I think its a perfectly reasonable question to ask. You are far from being 'baby' you are asking a sensible question on a public forum. You obviously know your GC and what they and you would feel comfortable doing. Have a wonderful holiday.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,983 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theme Park Child Watcher

I wasn't being rude, just explaining what happens and how it works for families every day. And you don't leave them on their own they are with a ride attendant. I said you were only being a little bit timid not overly timid.

I will reiterate I would be more comfortable leaving my 11 yr old with the ride attendant than with someone I hired outside the park. That to me is more dangerous.

Another option would be to pay for another relative to fly out and go to parks with you.

Belfast
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Theme Park Child Watcher

Most of the rides have child swap which I have used before with a young child and two ride fanatic parents I know its nit exactly the same thing as leaving your grand daughter alone but I can advise that the areas provided are safe there are normally staff members about and some even have movies etc playing in them for example Harry potter had some of the movie clips playing, as did the Simpson's and Spider-Man. Hope this helps.