We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

Well we are here!!! It was a VERY long and sometimes stressful travel day+, but wow oh wow....we absolutely love Port Orleans Riverside. Our Royal Room is gorgeous and the grounds are pristine.

So we got up at 4:30am Friday morning to get to the airport. Our Virgin Australia flight to LA was amazing....beautiful plane, great amenities, good food and attentive crew. It was when we got to Delta for the last leg of our flight to MCO that it went sour :-(

They had dramatically overbooked the flight (which all airlines do I know) and seeing as us Aussies couldn't do online check-in we weren't allocated seats. They offered to give us a voucher of over $5000 to use with them if we agreed to go on the next flight. The next flight left 4 hours later than ours and went via Atlants, arriving in Orlando 6 hours later than we were supposed to. We declined the offer. Our kids were shattered......we'd already been on the go from home for some 18 hours. There's no way the kids would've lasted another four hourse sitting around an airport!! So they managed to get us our four seats by offering others the travel vouchers and they accepted. However the seats weren't together :-(

Now call me an over protective sook but I believe that my 12 & 9 year olds should be sitting with at least one of us! Hmmmm!!! Well when my DD9 sawshe was sitting inbetween two men she lost it!!! Enter protective mother.....I also spat the dummy (had a tantrum) & a lovely man offered to take my seat which would free up his seat so I could sit with DD. What a generous soul!!

I was proud of DS12, who sat at the window seat next to two strangers but he was in the row in front of me...so not too bad. He said later that it made him just close his eyes and so slept most of that flight lol bless him.

About an hour before we landed both kids began feeling sick. I reckon they were exhausted, slightly dehydrated and hungry. Anyway sorted that out with Stemitil tabs followed by ice lemonade & pretzels.

Once in Orlando everything was peachey!! Of course :-)

Magical Express was just that. We all found a second wind and were beyond excited when we checked in to POR. Honestly though DH couldn't stop laughing at how we had travelled half way around the world to WDW only to have a Kiwi (New Zealander) check us in bahahaha. Too funny. Anyway we shared a story or two and some laughs with him and before we knew it we were on our way to our Royal Room.

Kelly,s personal Disney shopper had delivered our grocery order for us and DH was stunned that the bell services had refrigerated all of our cold stuff. He was stoked to be able to have a cold bud light lime straight away :-) It's those little Disney touches hey!!

So after a little walk around, a shower and a bite to eat in the food court here, we are in our room and two are already asleep...the boys!! DD & I are night owls so once I'm finished this and crawl into bed, she will hopefully crash right out. I think we've done well to stay awake this long...it's 11pm. Technically that's 1:00pm Saturday for us.....not bad since we began at 4:30am Friday. Shouldn't have any jetlag that's for sure lol

Tomorrow we are chillaxin by the POR pool then an evening at DTD with dinner at Rainforest Cafe.

Thanks for reading :-) :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

Forgot to say dinner was $50. DH & I both got an individual pizza and 3 breadsticks each, while the kids both got chicken nuggets & fries each & a milkshake each!! It was a great feed for $50!!!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

Oh my what a pain with Delta, that's terrible. I never understand why they overbook, do they think people aren't going to show up for a flight they paid for...??????? Glad you're there and relaxing now, have fun, keep us updated :)

kent
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

Great trip report, POR is my favourite place to be in the world! I have stayed there over 25 times now!! And looking forward to a return in August.

Well done on that long journey, be sure to take the boat down to downtown, have a wonderful time.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

Delta has a better reputation than some.....

Good to hear that Disney performed so well.

London
Level Contributor
968 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

Yay - you are there! Lovely TR more please. Such a shame re the Delta bit - all the rest sounds great though! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Edited: 1:20 am, May 03, 2014
Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,322 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

What a bummer with delta AJ, never mind though - all is peachy now!!

Have a lovely restful day and enjoy DTD

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

Well done for surviving the travel. Hope you don't get jet lag & have a great holiday :)

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

Great start AJ! What a shame about the flight, I wouldn't have wanted my DS 9 to sit on his own either, well done to your DS for being so grown up. So glad you're loving your Disney room, have a magical day 😃 x

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

Glad you're loving Disney, funny I know what you mean we had Aussies serve us at captn jacks in dtd last trip. So proud of you for resisting the urge to go to the parks on your first day, I couldn't do it I must get in those parks ASAP!! ;)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussies doing Orlando...Day 1 :-)

Well I don't know if it's jetlag or we got a bit more sleep on the planes than we thought.....or um maybe it's just plain ole excitement but we have all been awake since 3am!!! After goung to sleep after 11pm, I can't believe it lol

Oh well, the early bird gets the worm as they say hehehe

Still pinching myself that we are here!! I have to say again just how beautiful POR resort is......honestly the photos don't do it enough justice. The Royal rooms are so elegant. So many finer details. My head is spinning with excitement!!

Forgot to mention that it was a wee bit rainy when we arrived but I can't hear any rain out there this morning. It is supposed to be clearing up today I believe so the kids should love spending time at the pool today.

Haha galaga girl....there was no way we were up to the parks last night!! We actually don't get to a Disney park until Mother's day. Going on our cruise tomorrow then a few days at Universal.

Also forgot to say how much we love the magic bands concept. It is so convenient to just wave your wrist at your door to get in rather than having to fumble around for a room key!!

Thanks for reading along guys. I'll try to post today's adventures this evening.

Cheers,

AJ

Edited: 4:32 am, May 03, 2014