We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cashing in Amercian express travers cheques

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
cashing in Amercian express travers cheques

I just been on the Amercian express site..

& they have partners who cash you TC for free

anyone done this?

the one place i can see nearest to "ID" is

Bank of America

407 522 0376

4725 S Kirkman Rd

Orlando, FL 32811

if not cashing them in for free..how much % or fee is there at other places to cash them in?

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
477 reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
189 reviews
from $128.99*
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
131 reviews
from $118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
UK
Level Contributor
315 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: cashing in Amercian express travers cheques

You can use them as cash in the theme parks also if you change a higher denomination you get change!

Some hotels cash for you if in the name of person booking is in. $20 cheque is best for this as they don't always have the cash. We've never changed ours at the bank.

Also shops accept them as cash we used ours at florida mall this year

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cashing in Amercian express travers cheques

Unlike in the UK, travelers checks here are treated the same as cash. So you can go to a store, restaurant, hotel, etc., and pay for your purchase with the travelers check, instead of having to exchange it for cash. If you have $100 checks, and your item is $50, you get the change back in US currency. There's no fee for you to use them, and no fee deducted from the change you receive back.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cashing in Amercian express travers cheques

I didn't ask, but . .

You are getting your travelers checks in US dollars, not UK pounds, right? If they are checks in pounds, that's a totally different issue.

UK
Level Contributor
632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: cashing in Amercian express travers cheques

Like stated above, you dont pay commission on US $ TC's or have to have them cashed to use. You can even go into McD's and get a couple of burgers, pay with a TC and get the correct change in cash! As long as they are dollars they will be accepted everywhere.

new york
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cashing in Amercian express travers cheques

We still believe highly in TC. We take the majority of our spending money in them, and have never encountered a problem cashing them.

wigan UK
Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cashing in Amercian express travers cheques

We also take mostly tc's and a supply of dollars for the first few days. Never had any problem cashing them at any parks.

Good idea to cash one when buying breakfast in morning in a resturant or in hotel then you don't need to carry I.D around all day as they do ask for ID sometimes. Never seen a Bank in Orlando never mind used one. No Need!!!!!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cashing in Amercian express travers cheques

When I go overseas and end up coming home with TC's, I just use them locally myself for things like groceries and stuff. About the only place I've not use them is gas stations. If I have a large ammount, I will put the money back in my accout and I was once asked for my passport here at home. I just stared and the teller amended that to driver's license. As everyone above noted, just buy US$'s and you're all set. Shops and restaurants may limit the amount of change they will give out, so if you buy small items, take small denominations.

Here's some good general info:

www.kissimmee-us192.com/services/banks.htm

The banks aren't easy to find as they are placed for use by locals rather than visitors. The larger hotels usually accommodate you, but even the best places often are short on cash and they limit how much they will exchange. Never tried it at a budget place. But, if you really would prefer a bank, or you need a lot of cash, try SunTrust Bank, 1675 Buena Vista Dr., across from Downtown Disney Marketplace. Banks rarely charge a fee to cash US$ TC's. It's the only really convenient bank I can think of. You can't miss it.

8. Re: cashing in Amercian express travers cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 16, 2009