We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire - Disqualified 4 years ago

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Car hire - Disqualified 4 years ago

Hi there, myself and my Boyfriend are travelling to Orlando in September 2014, and would like to hire a vehicle. He was disqualified from driving for 12 months in September 2010, so had his licence reinstated in September 2011. We are both on full New Zealand Drivers licences.

Do car retal companies have a problem with this? I can drive, however i would prefer to share the driving.

thanks in advance!

Kirsty

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Car hire - Disqualified 4 years ago

Whilst many rental companies work to the theory that if you are legally entitled to drive in your home country, then you can rent a car, there may be finer points in the small print that could cause problems in the event of an accident, regardless of who was at fault. Therefore, as you are renting from the litigious capital of the universe, i would email a couple of rental companies, like Alamo/Dollar, and get them to clarify this for you in writing. As i say, on the face of it, you should have no problem, but if hidden somewhere in the small print, there is a clause pertaining to something that you didn't disclose to the rental company, it could financially crucify you. Best to cover your bases and check with the rental companies.

2. Re: Car hire - Disqualified 4 years ago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 27, 2015