We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

london
Level Contributor
711 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

hi all,

why is it that whenever anyone disagrees with what is being said on this forum from tipping,salutes etc that we are told not to come to the us or florida

after all it is free forum and we are free to give our views on all topices be it good or bad

or is it a forum for only writing good things only

or have we come to such a point we are not allowed to say how we feel on certain points

there are countries in this world that do not allow any frank views to be written or spoken and i hope that is not the way that this forum is heading to

i just hope we can all be adults about it and not get petty if things are written that are not always good and they should be taken in the same context as whjen we write about good things

so next time will i see that when we write good things will we be told not to come to the us or florida

i dont think so

pam

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

How about New York, we love visitors here!

Mentioned in this post
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,641 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

Well said, Pam.

We all have different views, which is why this forum is here in the first place. We give advise on our own experiences and facts we've learned, but not everyone will agree on everything and that's o.k.

For instance, I live the Norway pavilion/ride at Epcot, but Vegas doesn't. That's o.k., we just like different things.

Mentioned in this post
Jax Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

The one of the great things about this country in freedom of speach. So.....Welcome to the US and Florida

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
london
Level Contributor
711 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

hi tkere,

i am thinking of coming over around september or october for a week and my daughters want to do a shopping trip

so i am looking for a bed and breakfast in new york for a week not to far from all the action

so fingers closed i hope to new york

pam

Miami
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

As a Floridian, I am sorry you've had that experience. I think sometimes writing on the forum can cause a disconnection between people. It can be a cultural difference...one person's sarcastic manor can be taken as the worst kind of insult. I am often on the London Forum (which is terrific!) and I know it took me a little while to get the dry humor some posters used. Sometimes people are just plain grouchy, and yes, mean and ignorant. I love living in Florida, but just like everywhere else, we have our "bad eggs". Don't worry about the stinky ones.

Mentioned in this post
The Floridian Hotel and Suites
The Floridian Hotel and...
1,303 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Tennessee
Level Contributor
124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

We are a country of free speech-- but we don' t want to hear your opinion if it's different from ours lol. Just Kidding, of course there are ignorant people on here. People that just don't understand that you can disagree with someone's opinion and not tear their heads off b/c it's different from your own. (My mom's one of those. . . lol)

Suntree, Florida
Level Contributor
458 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

There are certain topics that always manage to create controversy.

As I wrote on the Shamu post, anything having to do with religion, smoking, and politics is sure to start a debate. Our workplace actually has a policy against discussing the above topics. For some reason, people get very agitated when their views are not immediately agreed with.

This forum (Orlando) is very mild compared to some others. Simple subjects such as what restaurant to eat at can create a huge controversy with people calling each other names.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
UK
Level Contributor
634 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

I have a very simple rule when it comes to forums - only post what I'd say to someones face.

I know you & I don't agree about tipping Pam, but thats fine by me. Lots of people disagree with me daily....!

As for a policy telling people what they can & can't talk about at work, surely that flies in the face of the "we have free speech in the USA" debate?

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

I think it's always best to remember that the opinions of an individual and their method of expressing them are not always typical of that city/country. Neither are they personal.

As you could see from my Shamu post a lot of people tended to read the bit they wanted to and took it out of context thus causing a mass debate completely off the subject! My post was in fact meant to be slightly tongue-in-cheek but obviously that's the danger when it's written in black and white, you can't always see behind it.

I find this forum really helpful and for the most part people tend to get along quite nicely.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: why are we always told to stop coming to the us or florida

Some people get tired and frustrated about the particular discussion. I know I get tired of seeing it, though I (mostly) try to ignore the issue when topics come up on it. Still, if I see one, particularly ones started by those who are familiar with this forum enough to have seen the many topics on it (some people new to the forum start them out of ignorance), I still say "Oh no, not another ------- topic! What else can possibly be said on the subject?" Of course, I know some eagerly await the next one.