We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those who go in August

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
For those who go in August

OK, so we were going to come in October, then that got trashed. Then we chose November but it will be way too cold in NYC for us, so we are now thinking of August. I know that it will be extremely hot but what are the crowds like?

I am used to coming in September so am familiar with the humidity but i'm not sure I can do massive crowds. I get mad at a 45min wait and will NOT wait that long in a line. Last September was busy due to the free dining, all the FP's were gone for Toy Story by 10am!

We just got back from DL and waited 80mins for Radiator Springs - NEVER AGAIN!!

We were thinking of the last week of August. Staying for 6-7 nights on property.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those who go in August

I would reconsider November. It will not be that cold in NYC then, not even here in Boston. November is not a winter month. I was in DisneyWorld this past November, and one day that was rainy and cool there was sunny and 60 in Boston! It is more likely to be mild weather than cold, and it rarely snows in November.

I have been twice to DisneyWorld the last week of August, and did not mind it. It was hot but the crowds weren't too bad. That was over 10 years ago.

However, this past year we were there Aug 13-23, and both crowds and weather were brutal. I personally will never go that time of year again.

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those who go in August

Florida kids will be back at school from about 18th, so I'm led to believe the crouds will thin out somewhat. It's when me and my family will be there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those who go in August

Galaga_girl, i am exactly the same as you, I hate crowds, and have very little patience for long queues, and I have to go in August due to school holidays. I went from 9th August until 1st September last year, and im going again in August this year, and i have to say, i didnt find it too bad. We got to the parks early, and did all the main rides we wanted to, then just spent the rest of the day seeing parades and shows etc. Use fast passes where possible. Im also not one for planning, and i dont think we waited any more than 30 minutes for rides, although having said that, we only did Epcot, Universal, IOA, Seaworld and Busch Gardens, not the other Disney parks. The weather was pretty much the same as September, hot, humid and rainy in the afternoon

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those who go in August

Florida kids are not the ones to worry about, it's the rest of the country, and lots go back after labor day (first monday in sept). That being said, we've been a few times the third week of August (disney and us/ioa), still crowded, hot and humid, but we would go that time again if we had to. In 2012 we went right after labor day, still nice and hot, much less crowded, that would be my preferred time to go :)

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those who go in August

THanks for the info, I think that August is not for us. It sounds like school will still be in, as we would be there for the entire month pretty much. I have work commitments on the 1st of September so would need to be back in Australia then.

Carmela, I looked up the weather for NYC in November and it said a max of 12degrees (C) that is SO COLD for me!! OMG, I can't imagine going on holidays and being in that kind of weather, and it also said that accommodation for NYC in November is one of the most expensive months. But it looks like it might have to be November after all.

pa
Level Contributor
54,497 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: For those who go in August

End of August isn't crazy crowded at all in our experience. Some schools do go back before that and those that go back after Labor Day typically aren't going on Holiday the Week before they go back to school. NYC will be much better in August than November

Va
Level Contributor
11,522 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those who go in August

There is a huge difference in the crowds the last week of August (depending on when Labor day falls). You could almost see the people leaving as the week wore on, but come labor day and it was packed again. From what we have seen going that time of year is there is a very, very short 3-4 window that the crowds lessen. Of course after labor day it becomes a virtual ghost town.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those who go in August

That is true...it was MUCH more crowded the third week of August this past year than I remember it being the last week of August 10 years ago. Then again, it seems like every year Disney gets more and more crowded.

But the main reason I would not go again in August is the heat...the intolerable, constant heat and humidity. It sucks the energy out of you. Even waiting at the bus stop was so uncomfortable. The blazing sun never let up for a minute all day until the torrential thunderstorms hit in the late afternoon.

I also do not think NYC would be better in August than in November. A big city filled with building and people and exhaust fumes in the stagnant sweltering air. Give me the cool crisp air of November. I am telling you, some days in November are actually spring-like, and I live further north than NYC.

I say go in November, and you even have a chance of seeing the Christmas decorations, unless you go the very first week. I also went in November this year, and every day I thought how much more comfortable and enjoyable it was than in August.

Take a look at this link for November 2014 weather for NYC....around 60 the beginning of the month and close to 50 at the very end

accuweather.com/en/…349727

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For those who go in August

One of the other reasons for an August visit is also that we are trying to get Pregnant and November may be too late!! May and June are out because the cruise pricing is insane and we just can't afford what is left.

Sheffield, England...
Level Contributor
50 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For those who go in August

We go every year in Aug the last two weeks from the UK. Kids go back the 2nd week and last year we didn't find the queues that bad. Utilise fast pass and single rider queues if you don't mind sitting seperate. That's what we do and have done for the last 10yrz.