We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo Car Hire

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burton upon Trent...
1 post
Save Topic
Alamo Car Hire

Has anyone had a similar experience to this ?

We found the man at the Alamo desk arrogant and rude. Just because we did not want to upgrade to a larger car and because we did not want the extra insurance, ( we had purchased our own in the UK ). When we said we were returning the car full of fuel as agreed with the broker we had booked with and did not want to be charged for a full tank fuel he had a hissy fit and tore up the the piece of paper he had just printed off. He then sulked. When I asked him if the car would be diesel or petrol he raised his voice and went on as if it was a silly question. If I had not have been so travel weary I would have asked for another sales assistant or to speak to his supervisor.

John

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,876 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo Car Hire

Never had a problem with Alamo

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,439 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo Car Hire

Unlike Susie, we have had trouble with Alamo for the same reasons as you but I think all the hire car firms are the same. They want to sell you whatever they can and are not happy if you refuse! We have learnt just to say a really firm "no thanks" to everything and anything they say we need.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,876 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo Car Hire

Traveller yes they all ask the questions after all they are sales people

It just doesn't bother me - as you say if you just tell them no thanks at the start they normally get the message

I pretty much just ignore them lol

However I always opt to pre pay for fuel when filling in the Save Time information so that usually shuts them up!!!

In fact if you do Save Time you don't really need to interact with the guy at the desk at all

This year I am going to try going directly to the garage as it seems to work for others

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,439 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo Car Hire

Susie, we are not going to Orlando this year but are flying into Miami for a trip to the Keys, so will have to contend with Alamo there! It is a nightmare compared to MCO. We always take the package that includes a full tank of fuel (through VA) but have not heard of the Save Time. Is that with Alamo Brits?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,000 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo Car Hire

Diesel cars in the US.

Now there's a thought......lol.....

Can't say I've ever seen one in over 20 years (not saying there aren't) but with fuel costing peanuts, why would they bother. I know fuels increased over the last few years, but it's still peanuts to what we pay here.

Alamo though.....never had any issues, nor with other companies I've used either.

Pretty much like suzy, I let them waffle, show very little interest & just keep saying "no thanks".

That said the last 7/8 trips I've just gone straight to the garage anyway, so missing out the desk altogether:-):-):-)

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,876 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo Car Hire

Traveller Save Time is Alamos version of on line check I suppose

You go on Alamo website and follow the save time link

You enter your reference number and them you can put in all your details drivers licence credit card any addition drivers info etc and you can take the pre pay fuel option there though you don't pay until you return the car at the end of the rental

I find it really does save time at the desk but as I say I am going to try the straight to the garage this time

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo Car Hire

Never had a problem with them, just say so and if they persist , ask to see a manager, if you've already prepaid , your good to go

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
660 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo Car Hire

In the past I think I've probably used all of the on-site rental firms at MCO. They all use these tactics to sell 'add-ons' but in my experience Alamo are the least pushy! Keep in mind that I believe the desk attendants are on very low basic salaries and make bonus by selling upgrades and add-ons. I'm not saying it excuses their (sometimes) rude attitude but it does go some way to explaining it!!

@Mike C - I used to think the same about Diesels but when we were there in December I was talking to a local who was saying that Audi & Volkswagen diesels are now becoming more popular because of their economy and the relative cost of fuel in the US!! It'll be interesting to see if they take off like they have done in the UK

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,876 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alamo Car Hire

Bluey - am I right in thinking you have used Save Time and gone straight to the garage successfully?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
660 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alamo Car Hire

Hi Susie - Yep done it a few times now and it's a real time-saver....

Edited: 7:34 am, January 05, 2014