We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney world in September.

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Disney world in September.

Hi there, was hoping to get some advice as we are planning another trip to the magnificent USA. This time we would like to visit Orlando and do all the theme parks with our 11 yo son. Is September a good time of year to visit Disneyworld? Hoping weather is good also. September is the best time of year for my husband to take leave so how much time would we need to do all of the attractions there? Many thanks in advance and if anyone has any hints or tips it will be greatly appreciated :)

pa
Level Contributor
54,006 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney world in September.

September is a pretty good time to visit. Lower crowds due to all the US schools just starting back is a nice bonus. Weather will still be Hot and Humid, great for Swimming :)

Disney World is made up of 4 Main Parks, 2 Water Parks, Downtown Disney plus a whole lot more. A good solid week, at least, would be ideal. Are you hoping to also visit other Non Disney Parks ? If so, add another week if you can. All the Parks need at least a Full Day each to explore and enjoy

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney world in September.

Best is subjective, but September is a very good time in the sense that it is one of the lowest crowd periods of the year, and, in turn, a value season so you should find some lower travel related costs namely hotel rooms. For example, Disney often has their free dining promotion in effect. September is also still summer weather though so be prepared for hot and humid with daily chances (whether it actually does or not) of brief scattered or isolated thunderstorms. It is also peak Atlantic hurricane season and while that isn't something to try to plan travel around, it could mean tropical weather if a named storm happens to be passing. If that's the time you have off then go for it. It would be much better than the rest of the summer, when it's also hot with rain and storm chances, but with heavy crowds. It also ensures swimming weather. Many like to include the water parks and/or visit to the beach. If it's Disney only you are looking at 4 parks and 2 water parks. At least a week would be good. But there is also Universal (2 parks) and SeaWorld Parks. The amount of time really depends on what you want to do. But at least one full day per theme park is a good plan trying to work in periods of rest.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney world in September.

Thank you so much partypa. :) We are going to visit the other non Disney parks as well. Any suggestions would be great .

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney world in September.

1031Orlando, thank you very much. Some great information and advice. Hoping to do a 4 to 5 week holiday. So maybe 2 weeks in Orlando would be sufficient bearing in mind a trip to the space centre and shopping? Not sure as to where after Orlando , maybe a cruise? :)

sydney
Level Contributor
762 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney world in September.

hi, we just spent 13 nights in orlando,. We arrived Sept and left Oct lol, anyhow. Will give you a lowdown on what we did.

We went to AK, HS, Epcot one day each and had 3 days at MK.

One day each at US and IOA and one day at KSC and airboat ride,

We stayed at POP Century which was great , we got the free QS Dining plan, was way too much food, we ended up with 37 meal credits left, so just cashed them in on lots of snacks to bring home which were great to give out to family and friends, bags of lollies, cookies ect.

We also spent a day at the outlets and visited DD about 4 times.

You do need days to relax though, sleep in, have a swim and then go shopping or DD as we did.

We did not do any water parks, we have them here , so as there was so much other stuff to see, didn't bother with them, but each to their own.

As for the weather in Sept/Oct just gone, it was hot, it wasn't humid everyday, we never saw a thunderstorm... though I was hoping we would, we had one afternoon of continuous rain in the 13 nights we were there, so I guess it is luck of the draw with the weather.

THough when we were watching fantastmic it poured with rain 5 mins from the end of it.

I suggest if first time to WDW stay on site, fantastic at Dsiney resorts, give yourself some free days and be prepared to wait and walk, if you can score the free dining, go for it, it was woth over $2,000 to us, so saved us heaps of money, though don't go crazy booking ADO's as you have to plan really well. I only booked Planet Hollywood, SCi Fi Diner and Whispering Canyon, paid for these meals, still came out in front, and we were not stressing all the time about getting to out reservations.

Don't know if you have been to Disneyland?? but this place is another story lol

Only thing I didn't like was you had to catch buses everywhere, so this takes time, not like Anaheim, though my kids really enjoyed it, as there are different rides here than at Disneyland.

Any questions just ask me, a fellow aussie

\\\

Edited: 8:51 am, October 27, 2013
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney world in September.

Cruises delightful, but really pretty risky in September

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney world in September.

We were just there Sept21-28th and i will never ever go back in September. The humidity was at 98 percent every day. Im used to heat but still by the 3rd day i felt like i was going to pass out. It rained everyday. And more than 10 mins like ppl say. A couple days it rained all afternoon.

We also thought by going in September it wouldnt be very crowded..... ha .....It was extremely busy. Some of the fast passes already sold out for the day at 10am. Buses were jammed packed too

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney world in September.

We were just there in September from the 2nd till the 12th with our 11 y/o daughter and thought it was an absolutely fabulous time to be there, with the exception of the 2nd only! It was their labour day and was extremely busy on that day, but that was the only dud day. The rest of the time was just amazing with really low queue times and fairly empty parks by comparison. We were at Disneyland 2 years ago in September and it was pretty much the same with crown levels there too.

Weather wise, it was hot with one thunder storm in 11 days, and 2 days of rain for around an hour but that was it. Swimming weather every day! We've holidayed many times in Asia & FNQ so we're very used to hot & humid weather, but I thought this was tame compared to Asian weather. Drink lots of water of course as it's hot, but nothing like I was anticipating.

Like Bigmomma we also stayed at POP Century with the free dining plan, but we upgraded it from the quick service as we'd planned on doing 4 character meals, so it was definitely worth it for us. Personally really liked the idea of a Disney Hotel and even though I thought the customer service at POP left a lot to be desired, it was still a very good resort in terms of value for money, facilities etc.

We didn't do the other parks, only Disney and shopping. We'd done Universal in LA (VIP Tour) & Singapore and just decided that for us, it just wasn't worth the extra money. Many I'm sure would disagree, but that's a personal choice and we were happy with our decision. Had intended on doing the Kennedy Space Centre but didn't make it as there was just so much to do at the parks. Also had included the Water Parks on our tickets, but again, like BigMomma we've been to the water parks on the Gold Coast a heap of times and decided that we were better using our time at Disney parks. Plus, we really wanted to fit it a lot of shopping time as I'd specifically put aside around $4000 just for clothes for myself & daughter. So glad I did that. The Shopping is amazing in the States compared to the rip off prices here in Oz. ($60 for a Calvin Klein suit, $50 Ralph Lauren dresses, $225 for Michael Kors boots, $25 CK jeans) - I could go on and on with the amazing buys - so make sure you have a good shopping allowance!

We also hired a car for 9 days and although we only used the buses around the parks and for Downtown Disney, we liked having the convenience of taking off for an afternoon or evening for shopping.

You'll have an amazing time in September if the weather and crowds were anything like our experience. Feel free to ask any questions from a fellow Melbournians perspective!

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney world in September.

Sept is generally very hot. It wasn't as bad this past year as usual. So, be prepared to deal with the heat and plan pool breaks. We have never been in Sept - we live in the Southeast US and that's enough to scare me away from Sept. However, the plus is the crowds are quite low. If you can handle the heat, then it's a great time to go!

As for days, we haven't done the water parks so do add those in, but otherwise, I'd suggest:

Animal Kingdom - 1 day

Hollywood Studios - 1+ day. The plus is due to having an 11 year old boy - you may need more than 1 day due to that. Boys that age tend to love that park.

Magic Kingdom - 2 days

Epcot - 2+ days. There are many people who take longer at MK but EP always takes us much longer. AK was not a success with my kids for 3 years in a row - so we skipped it last trip so we could do 3 days of Epcot. If you get park hopper, then you can easily switch parks and split up days. There's Disney transportation between the parks and it's complimentary and easy.

For Universal Parks, you could do them in a day each. More if fine too, but a day each is really what the need is. There's Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios. There's a Harry Potter area in Islands of Adventure, so if he's into that, then definitely go there! There's so much more there as well!

There's also Sea World - takes a day and you won't see every single show, but you'll get a lot done. And LEGOLAND. It's a little further away from the other parks so you would need a car if you do that one. We've been to all the parks I listed so far multiple times except for LEGOLAND, so not a lot advice about that. My eldest is a 10 year old boy and I've read that some kids that age aren't into LEGOLAND and some love it. I expect my lego-loving child to really enjoy it.

Edited: 10:27 pm, October 27, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney world in September.

Thank you all so much for this amazing information. 1031Orlando, regarding the cruise are you saying risky due to weather?