We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

UK
Level Contributor
275 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

Hi I have read a few posts on here where people have said they have been made to upgrade their car size as the hire companies insist on all luggage going in the boot? Is this true? My hubby and I are hoping to bring our golf clubs and a suitcase each, however we don't really need a big car so would not want to upgrade just to fit everything in, which is unlikely in any size car. ( we have a 4x4 at home and can't get all that in our boot!.) Any help on this matter before I book would be much appreciated.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,491 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

I haven't read or heard of anything like that. As long as the front passengers can put on their seat belts I don't see how the rental company can dictate where you put your luggage.

UK
Level Contributor
841 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

Not heard that before. Our luggage didn't all fit in boot we put it on back seat as only 2 of us in car. Perhaps they mean you can't use roof racks etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

It's not something I have heard of either. From what I can remember last year they just handed us the keys and we were away....no one saw what we did with the luggage.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

Sounds like an agent trying to get you to pay for an upgrade at the counter.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,971 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

Not at all we always have golf clubs on the back seats

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

We've been told before the luggage won't fit, but they didn't realise one of the holdalls had 2 kids booster cushions in - once they were in place everything fitted in....different matter on the way back - couple of bags in the front seat next to hubby driving and me and the kids squished in the back!

Lou73

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say a definite NO.

These vehicles are made with fold down seats and numerous seating configurations.

As long as you are stowing the luggage safely and the driver's movement or vision is not impeded then you will be OK. ie you are using the vehicle in the way it has been designed to be used.

David

UK
Level Contributor
275 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

Thank you for all your replies - this is really helpful and put my mind at rest ;-)

York, England...
Level Contributor
330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

Been hiring cars all over the world for over 20 years and never upgraded because of luggage. Yes some agents will "suggest" some sort of problem if you don't upgrade but just the usual polite but firm no will do.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire - must all luggage fit in boot ??

We found the ford escape(ford kuga in uk)to be too small for us so we unloaded our luggage into a Mazda which was a smallish 7 seater,but we folded down the back seats and there was plenty of room.

Taking no chances this time around though ,and we have booked an 8 seater (for 4 people lol).

But to answer your question..you should have loads of room ,and you can load your luggage however you choose.

One tip I would give you is,use soft hold alas instead of rigid suit cases,,,much easier to cram in;)