We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson...bit annoyed

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson...bit annoyed

We booked last month to go to Orlando with Thomson Sept 2014 using the Internet. It's our first trip to Orlando and we'd decided we didn't want to drive so we added coach transfers for 4 of us costing £144.

After popping on this forum and seeing how most people enjoy hiring a car I thought right I'm going to drive over there and save us a few hours getting to Disney. I tried to remove the coach transfers using 'amend my booking' and it removes 'coach transfer' but replaces it with 'admin fee' therefore I'm still having to pay £144 as apparently coach transfers are non refundable.

Bit annoyed! This isn't made clear when you book and I've gone all through their terms and conditions and its not mentioned. On their site it says you can add and delete transfers but nothing is mentioned about no refunds, it's still 13 months away! Surely it's not costing them £144 to remove this from our booking so far in advance!

Just a warning if you're booking with Thomson and can't decide whether to hire a car or use their transfer. Go for the car and you can add transfers later at no extra cost but you can't do it the other way round.

I've re emailed Thomson again and have to wait 5 days (again) for someone to phone me, I've tried to phone them on an 0844 no but it's just the message keeps playing. They're not easy to speak to!

We've booked with Thomson before and always been really happy but this has put me off now and served as a reminder that they'll squeeze every last penny from you if they can get away with it.

Won't let it spoil my plans but *blowing raspberry* to Thomsons

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson...bit annoyed

You never know, they may refund it yet.

Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
781 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson...bit annoyed

Money grabbers

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson...bit annoyed

same sort of thing happened to me on our last Thomson holiday...had booked for 4 of us to go in june 2010..but in the july found out that one person couldn't make it...it cost me £250 to remove them....we weren't travelling until oct 2011 !!!!!! that cost was to simply remove one person, nothing to do with under occupancy or anything...had to be done though so yes I can fully understand why youre miffed.

Leicester, England
Level Contributor
242 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson...bit annoyed

Maybe worth going into a thomson travel agency for some advice??

PS I'm off September 2014 too, can't wait!! When and where are you staying?? We're September 25th at Disney Port Orleans Riverside :)

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson...bit annoyed

Ooh lovely! Rosen Inn for us, would have loved to stay at Disney:-) I'm sure we'll all have a great time, I'm excited! my kids are even more excited than me about this holiday which is a first hehe

18th Sept from East mids

Edited: 4:36 am, August 15, 2013
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson...bit annoyed

What miffs me is if you're amending a booking but spending even more money they don't charge you. They were phoning me 2 weeks after I'd booked trying to get me to upgrade seats or choose seats on the plane.

I might try going in to the travel agents thanks :-)

Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson...bit annoyed

I am going in 2 weeks 6 days not that I'm counting!! I have changed from transfers to car hire I only done this yesterday when I rang Thomson up they took the money that I payed for the transfers and took it off the car hire try this!! Good luck!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson...bit annoyed

I would go into a shop and explain what you want to do. If you then say you want to hire the car from them (probably more expensive than doing it yourself but go armed with an online price from alamo & dollar to compare) and I bet they will waive the £144 "admin" fee.

motherwell
Level Contributor
536 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson...bit annoyed

If you don't get a refund why not use the transfers then pick the car up at the nearest dealership and drop it off there before heading home, I would not like to give them money for nothing especially ADMIN FEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might not be a bad option since you haven't driven over there although a refund goes towards the cost of the car.

Edited: 5:21 am, August 15, 2013
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson...bit annoyed

i would tell them you wish to hire a car from them and want to remove it , once they have removed it tell them you dont wish to hire a car anymore